bonus | first date

"So," Fitz grins at me, teal eyes sparkling, "What do you say?"

What do I say? How can I answer him when my mind is trapped, caught, swirling and spiraling with "what if's" and "why's" and-

How could he ever like me? Me, Dex Dizznee, son of a bad match. He's a Vacker! I'm so far below him I could very well be an ant.

But something compels me to answer, and somehow, I speak. 

"Y-yeah. Yeah, I'd like that."

Well, this would be a disaster.

Sophie lets out a screech.

"Soph, calm down!" I hush her, glancing around nervously. We were at Havenfield right now, talking in Sophie's room.

"Oh no, Iggy's going to tell the world your deep, dark secret!" She jokes.

I whack her on the shoulder. "Shut up, please."

She pokes her tongue out at me playfully as I give her a scowl, my face flushed.

Sophie lowers her voice to quiet fangirl about it. "You're going on a date with Fitz!" 

"My little gay heart is just jumping with joy." I deadpan.

Sophie gives me a curious glance. "Seriously, Dex, I thought you'd be more excited about this? You've had a crush on him for a while now."

"I am excited!" I protest, "But. . ."

But what? How could I possibly explain to her? The Ruewens were a noble family, while the Dizznees were looked down upon. Hell, the Vackers were practically royalty!

I sigh.

"What if. . . what if he doesn't like me? What if it's all a joke? I'm just a Dizznee and he's a Vacker-"

Sophie shushes me, her brown eyes flashing with anger.

"Dex, stop being a worried idiot for one second, please?"

I oblige, sitting back down from where I had been pacing and turning to face her.

She sighs, "Dex, I gotta say, it's pretty obvious that Fitz likes you? I mean, you guys have literally kissed before. And I've seen the way he looks at you. It's definitely not a joke."

I stare at her in silence.

"But what if it is?" 

Sophie lets out a groan of annoyance, pulling out her Imparter and hailing Biana.

Biana's face pops up, and after a few moments, Linh leans in view, excitedly waving at us.

"Hey, you two. Biana, do you think you could ask Fitz how he feels about his date with Dex tomorrow?"

Biana gives us an evil grin, walking up the stairs and stopping in front of Fitz's room.

"Hey Fiiiitzy-poo!" she sings, "You've got a date with Dex tomorrow, remember?"

There's silence for a moment, and then we hear a panicked scream from inside the room.

Biana dramatically pushes the door open to show us Fitz, rummaging through his closet and tossing clothes every which way.

"What am I supposed to wear-" Fitz sobs dramatically, then freezes, staring at the Imparter screen. I think I hear him say something like 'shit, it's Dex!' before Biana suddenly runs out of the room, closing the Imparter call.