Chapter 20

"Hey, Keefe," Fitz wanders into my room, his dark hair as perfect as always, "Have you seen this?"

He holds up a copy of a magazine. Both my and Fitz's faces are plastered across the cover page. Oh, this was from when that random reporter found me on the castle grounds, a few chapters ago!

The headline for the magazine is A SECRET RELATIONSHIP: THE PRINCE AND FITZ VACKER?

"What the absolute, everloving fuck is this?"

Fitz sprawls across my lap, opening it up. "Take a look at this: 'Is the prince cheating on his Selected? Keefe Sencen and his confidante have been close since childhood, but has it perhaps developed into something more-?'"

"Oh, you wish you could get a piece of this. Anyway, is this from that one time I called you 'babe' in front of a reporter?"

Fitz laughs, closing the magazine. "Yeah, I guess so. Anyway, my beloved, shall I take my leave?" He gets off my lap and brushes some dust off his pants.

"Yes, my dearest confidant, I've got better things to do today." 

Fitz sticks his tongue out at me and I wave as he exits.

"Ugh," I grumble, sitting back on my chair, "What should I do today?"

Then I remember that I'm in the middle of a Selection. And, as the magazine said, I don't want to seem like I'm cheating on my Selected or something. 

"I'll go on a date with Sophie!" I say, jumping out of my chair.

I sprint to the guest wing, skidding around the corner. "Hey, Foster-"

Then I run right into a large, muscled person.

"Umph!" 

I back up a few steps to see a large, gray goblin staring at me menacingly. His body is positively rippling with muscles as he moves a hand threateningly to the curved sword at his belt. But when he speaks, his voice is unexpectedly squeaky.

"Who are you?"

I do a short little bow. "Prince Keefe of the Kingdom of Foxfire, pleased to meet you. And you are?"

The goblin sniffs. "Sandor, the bodyguard of Sophie Foster."

"Got it, Gigantor." I wink and do a single finger gun at him, while approaching Sophie's door. I knock, and Sophie answers. 

"Hey, Foster, wanna go on a date?" My tone is light and playful. The door suddenly opens, and I almost fall inside before straightening up.

"Yeah, sure!" Sophie smiles at me. "Where are we going?"

"I have no idea!" I grin, taking her hand. 

I swing Sophie and I's joined hands, making her giggle as my mind whirls through the date options. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Sandor discreetly following us, and then my mind sparks with an idea.

"Hey, how about we go to Havenfield?" I smirk at Sophie, who has an excited gleam in her eyes as she nods. She hands me her leaping crystal, and I hold it up to a beam of light while Sandor clutches onto Sophie's arm. Then we light-leap.

"Whoa." I say, looking around in awe. The palace is far larger than this house, but Havenfield is still decently big. There's a large pasture on the side of the house, and on the other side is a cliff overlooking the ocean.

"C'mon, let's go!" Sophie smiles as she tugs me along into the house. The chatter inside stops as soon as we get in, and we're faced with four adults who stare at us.