Chapter 30

"Okay, so why is me being bi bad?"

I can hear Ro awkwardly shifting in the shadows behind me - I bet she didn't expect this. Plot twist!

Alden sighs. "It's not that, it's about Tam."

"And?"

"I'm not sure how your father will react to the fact that you have feelings for someone outside of the Selection, and the fact that it's a boy. But I can remedy one of those."

"Which one?"

He gives me a mysterious smile. "After you tell this to your father, I'll bring it up with him."

"Ooookay. Also, Biana said you had something to tell me?"

"Right. So, about the picture that Biana took. I think you should leak it to the public."

"What?! Why?"

"They're far more willing to accept love than people like us. And they might be okay with it, who knows?"

"Wait." I frown, "Don't leak it yet. I need to talk to Tam about this first, see if he's okay with it."

"Alright." Alden smiles, "Let me know, and if all goes well, it'll be in tomorrow morning's magazines."

"Alright then. Thanks, Alden." I say, smiling and giving him a hug.

"I told you there was no reason to worry," he mumbles.

After meeting with Alden, I sprint to Tam's room, practically barreling down the door with my knocking. Tam finally cracks it open, peering out, but opens it wider when he sees me.

He's only wearing a pair of pajama bottoms, and his hair is soft and messy as he smiles at me. It nearly gives me a heart attack, and I have to fight to keep my eyes glued to his face when he's shirtless—

It finally makes me realize that this is the most intimately casual I've ever seen him be, and that knocks the breath out of me. But hopefully it wouldn't be the last time I see him like this.

That thought sobers me up, and I finally speak my mind. "Tam, Biana and her father think that we have a solution to the Selection problem."

Tam frowns. "Wait, Biana?"

I sit on his bed and explain everything. I tell him how Biana saw us and took a photo, how I came out to Alden, and Alden's idea of "leaking" the picture to the press to get public support for the two of us.

Tam pauses and bites his lip nervously as he sits down next to me, tugging on his bangs. He takes a deep breath, then smiles.

"Oh, this is going to piss off my parents so much. But, um, I don't want to do many interviews, okay?"

I frown, putting an arm around him. "Tammy, I can't promise that, you're probably going to have to do one at some point. However, you can hide behind me, or just hide in the shadows, if you want."

Tam smiles and kisses me.

The next day, Dad calls me into his office.

This isn't gonna be good. If I get in trouble, maybe I can run away to Lena's house.

Though that sounds fun, let's hope I don't get into trouble.

Dad looks up from a magazine as I enter. I wince at the cover—it's the same magazine that made the article of me and Fitz, with the picture of Tam and I blown up to fit the page. The headline reads, SELECTION SCANDAL?