Chapter 38

I stir from my sleep, feeling panic overtake me when I notice the presence of another person in my bed, but then my mind flashes to the events of last night.

I smile at the ring on my hand, and I glance over to where Tam's asleep, and I lose my breath.

You know those mornings where the sunlight is slicing through the gloom of night, and your room's filled with light? It's like you're drifting on a cloud, and everything is gold.

And with the light gently surrounding him and reflecting off his silver-tipped bangs, Tam looks like an angel.

My breath finally returns in a gasp as someone starts trying to open the door.

Using telekinesis, I pick up my hairbrush, heart thundering in my chest. Why hadn't Ro stopped this person? Was the palace being attacked again?

The door finally gets pushed open, and I fling my brush at the intruder, sitting up a bit to hide Tam from their view so they wouldn't attack him.

"Keefe, you're going to be late for break-" Fitz catches the hairbrush mid-air, placing it on a table. He's quiet for a moment, surveying the room.

He looks at the clothes strewn haphazardly on the floor, my bare chest, and the person-shaped lump in the blankets next to me, his eyebrows rising in surprise.

His mouth moves a few times, like he's trying to speak, but no words are coming out. 

Fitz finally manages to speak. "Dang, Keefe." 

I yawn, running a hand through my hair and pushing it out of my face. "Hi, Fitzy."

"So, who is it?" Fitz smirks, looking pointedly at the person next to me.

I glare back at him, "That's for me to know and you to wonder.'

"Keeeeeeefe," Fitz pouts.

"Fiiiiiitz," I pout right back at him, "You'll find out at breakfast, okay?"

Fitz sighs, turning around and leaving my room, and I wait for a moment before finally leaving the cozy comfort of the blankets and heading to the bathroom.

After quickly bathing and pulling a robe around myself, I head back to the bed to wake Tam up.

"Tammy, love," I hum, "C'mon, wake up."

He lets out an unintelligible mumble, tugging the blankets tighter around himself.

"Get up, Tam." I sigh, booping his nose.

Tam grumbles, opening his eyes slightly, still snuggled in blankets. "Go away, Keefe."

I pout, "Don't you want everyone to know we're engaged?"

There's a long silence, where it seems that he's fallen back asleep. 

The blanket falls off of him as he sits up, eyes wide in shock. I smirk, lacing my hand with his and raising it up to show our rings.

Tam visibly relaxes and yawns as I toss him a towel for his bath, and I saunter towards my closet, looking for something to wear.

Let's see. . . how do I want to appear today? I had already called a servant and asked them to drop off some of Tam's nice clothing, so what if I matched with him?

I finally stride out of my closet. I'm dressed in the same outfit I wore when I first met the girls - a white dress shirt, dark-blue dress pants, and a darker blue suit jacket with silver accents. 

Tam pulls on his jacket as I glance at him. His outfit is basically the same as mine, except his is black and silver, not dark-blue. 

I can feel his gaze on me as I put my crown on top of my head, and I'm about to head for the door when Tam suddenly steps in front of me.