Prologue - 2010 - Hellesville College

John sat hunched beside his desk lamp trying to read To Kill A Mockingbird, the homework set for the weekend. He looked longingly at his bed, where he'd usually be stretched out reading in comfort. His eyes shifted to the dead light globe hanging from the ceiling. Of course it had to blow on a Saturday night, when the maintenance man wouldn't be in until Monday!

The Hellesville College handbook strictly forbade students from changing their own overhead light globes - something about an OH&S issue.

How ridiculous! John thought. I'm sixteen years old, and I've been changing the light globes at home since I was twelve! Stuff the rules, I'm doin' it!

He pulled open his desk drawer and reached to the back, remembering his mum muttering something about leaving a spare globe for his lamp in case he needed it. Fishing out the crumpled box, he extracted the globe and held it up in front of him. It was the same size as his blown overhead light!

John slid his desk chair directly under the fitting and climbed onto it. The chair swung a little as he reached up, so he moved his feet further apart to improve his balance. It'd only take thirty seconds, and no-one would ever know he'd done it.

He'd almost finished unscrewing the dead light globe when he knew he was in trouble. The chair began to wobble. He grabbed the almost detached globe trying to recover his balance, but it was too late! The chair swung wildly, the globe came out, and he was hurtling towards his desk headfirst. Excruciating pain shot through the side of his head and he knew it was all over.