Chapter Seventeen: Sabotage

"Oh. My. God." Becky said as she stepped through the locked roller door with John. "Can you believe this place? Talk about an Aladdin's cave!"

Along the entire back wall of the shed were shelves covered in gadgets of all shapes and sizes. She looked at John and giggled nervously. "I'm glad you said you know the movie really well and will recognise the right gadget, 'cos otherwise we'd be here all day."

John squeezed her hand, and moved closer to the shelves. Even though Billy had described the 'ghost sniffer', as Brad had called it, in detail, Becky had to admit that most of the stuff on the shelf looked the same to her. John was eagerly moving from one contraption to the next, studying each one and muttering to himself before he moved on to the next one.

Becky burst out laughing when she realised what the muttering was all about. "Don't tell me you actually know the names of all these pieces of junk? I know you said you loved the movie, but this is bordering on obsessive fandom..."

John turned to look at her, the blushing and sheepish look just making him look even more gorgeous - if that was even possible. "Okay, so maybe I saw the movie more than once or twice. And maybe I owned the toy version of just about everything here. But that doesn't mean I was obsessed!" He chuckled, and turned back to the shelves. "Well, maybe just a little bit...Wait...Beck'...I found it! The Bacharach Sniffer 300, or a really good copy of one anyway. Have a go at the detail...man, this might actually work..."

"Ummm John, stop sounding so impressed. Have you forgotten that if it does work we're in deep doo-doo? Seriously...we need to make sure it doesn't work!"

She moved closer to check out the gadget he'd been drooling about. A square box with a shoulder strap, a piece of plastic tube and a long thin metal stick attached. "So this is it then? You're sure?"

John nodded. "Absolutely."

Becky concentrated on the box and it's attachments, and waved her arm to move it over to the table in the middle of the room so they could study it. She was tempted to just send it flying against the wall, so it'd be smashed into a million pieces. Instead she guided it carefully to the table. Damn Billy and his 'do something that's not obvious'.

John stood looking at the thing and scratching his head. "So how do we disable it?"

Becky threw her hands in the air. "I have no idea...I thought you'd know what to do?"

"Okay, okay, let me think for a minute. It's obviously an electronic device, so the worst thing you can do to something like that is..." He walked in a circle, pulling his hair out to the sides and looking at the roof. Becky was starting to get worried, and he was looking more and more like a mad scientist, when he suddenly stopped and grinned at her. "Water! Somehow we need to get water inside the wiring, and then when Brad turns it on it should short out and fry the wiring."

Becky squealed when John suddenly grabbed her around the waist and spun her around the room a few times. He was obviously happy, and Becky had no intention of objecting and spoiling his fun. Well, there was also the fact that she was loving every minute of it too.

When he'd finally calmed down he put Becky down and looked at her seriously. "Ok, so can you do that? Somehow pour water over the power pack, and see if we can get it to run inside where the electronics are?"

Becky grinned and put her hands on her hips. "And where are we supposed to get this water from genius?"

John flitted over to the corner beside the shelves and pointed out a small fridge plugged into the wall. He shrugged and grinned at her. "How about waving your magic wand and opening this...you never know..."

Becky waved her arm, and grinned as the door to the fridge opened to reveal a row of bottled water on the top shelf. "Okay smarty pants, how about you try and get a bottle over to the table. You could do with the practice..."

John sighed, and concentrated on the bottles in the fridge. After about ten seconds, he flung his arm towards the table. Three bottles flew out of the fridge, hurtled through the air, and slammed into the roller door at the other end of the shed. "Oooppss....too much do ya think?"

Becky was already doubled over with laughter, and his comment just made it worse. John moved down to the roller door, looked at the ground, and then grinned at her. "Well, at least I solved our next problem...one of the bottles is now leaking. I'm thinking maybe you'd better do the pouring though, my aim seems to be a bit off."

Becky was still giggling as she floated over to where John stood. She took a deep breath to calm herself, and slowly lifted the bottle, moving it down the room until it hovered above the device on the table. The water dribbled slowly from the crack in the bottle. She hoped at least some of it would slip through a crevice in the outer cover and seep into the electronics inside.

John frowned at the trail of water from the door to the table, and the puddle forming on the table itself. "Ummm, dyathink anyone will guess someone was in here?"

"Oooppss..." Becky chuckled. "At least there's a few hours left for it to dry before they come to get this thing. Does it look like the water's getting into where we need it to?"

John frowned. "I'm not sure. Knowing our luck, the damn thing'll be waterproof! Well, at least we tried...guess we'll just have to hope it was enough. If not, we can always go to plan B..."

Becky raised her eyebrows and looked at him. "I didn't know there was a plan B...what is it?"

John grinned. "Ummm, totally freak out and arrange to have a heavy object fall on Brad's head or something equally random?" He chuckled. "Sorry, I'm all out of rational ideas for today."