Chapter Twenty-Seven: Back to School

Becky spotted Lance, Kate and Billy sitting on the school oval, grabbed John's hand and dragged him towards them.

Billy's face had turned white at the sight of her. "What the hell...? Becky, you know the rules...no showing up at school."

"But that was when you were the only one who could see me. Come on Billy, it's boring hanging around the college all the time. Besides John really wanted to check a few things out. He hasn't been here in years!"

Kate smiled and nudged Billy. "Yeah, come on Billy," she chuckled, "nobody but us knows they're here. It could be fun..."

Billy scowled. "That depends on your interpretation of the word fun. The last time Becky came to  school I was in year six, and two boys who'd been picking on me were attacked by an unknown assailant in the boys' toilets. It was just lucky I was talking to the teacher at the time, so I didn't get the blame for once."

Becky's eyes were stormy, her hands on her hips. "Those guys were total bullies and deserved everything they got. Nobody picks on my brother and gets away with it. I hope they're still trying to pick the wet toilet paper out of their ears." Everyone cracked up, and even Billy joined in eventually.

"O...kay then. Kate, I think you and I should consider ourselves suitably warned. Do not have a falling out with this girl's brother," Lance spluttered, giving Becky a sheepish grin.

"Actually Becky, I could have done with someone like you around when I was in primary school. I can think of quite a few occasions I could have used your help..." Kate's eyes twinkled with mischief.

Becky grinned and winked. "Well, I'm more than happy to make up for it now...just nod and point and I'm sure John and I will think of some interesting ways to make them pay!"

John grinned and threw his hands in the air. "Hey, I'd speak for myself, but...ya'know...Becky's here." Becky punched him and he pulled her close. "Not that I'm complaining of course. My awesome girlfriend is welcome to speak for me anytime."

Becky melted against him, the word girlfriend echoing inside her head. Wow, that was a term she'd never expected to hear applied to her. It made her feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing John considered her his girlfriend.

"So how cool is it that Ballou is taking our suggestion about the party to the staff meeting today?" Lance said, breaking the awkward silence following John's declaration. "He stuck his head in this morning and said he'd talked to Mrs Stomp and she agreed it was a good idea. We may actually pull this off yet."

Kate frowned. "Yeah, that's great news Lance. But I've been thinking. Do you guys think we should let Brad know what's going on, before he hears about the party and freaks? We could just tell him I Googled the thing we found and worked out it's a poltergeist, and then maybe tell him the plan. I'd rather he didn't turn up to the party in full Ghostbusters regalia."

"Maybe we should wait until we know whether it's actually gonna happen before we tell him anything," Billy said. "If the party is on, I definitely agree he needs to know about the game plan. You're right, he'll probably freak out if he hears there's going to be a party so close to where we found that thing."

The bell rang signalling the end of lunch, and Lance groaned. "Oh joy...double English...I can feel an overwhelming desire for a nap coming on."

Billy chuckled. "Well, at least we're all in this class together. Come on, let's get moving. I so don't need a detention for being late." He turned to Becky and John. "So we'll see you guys back at the dorm this afternoon? Oh, and please...try to stay out of trouble!"

Becky slipped into her angel outfit and they all cracked up. "Of course Billy...I'll be a perfect angel." She winked as they left, all three shaking their heads and still chuckling.

As soon as they were out of sight, Becky slipped back into her normal clothes and threw her arms around John's neck. "So whadya wanna do now huh?"

She was seriously addicted to this hugging thing. It was the most awesome thing ever invented. As was happening more and more often lately, the nagging little voice in the back of her head whispered that it would all be over soon so she'd better not get used to it. She quickly squashed the stupid voice and buried it back down in a dark corner of her mind. She would not waste a minute of her time left with John listening to the depressive drivel.

John wrapped his arms around her and kissed the tip of her nose. "What do I want to do? Well this'll do for starters," he said, and she noticed a tinge of sadness in his voice.

Even though they'd agreed not to discuss the prospect of him having to leave, Becky knew it was hurting him as much as it was her. So she just buried her head against his chest and enjoyed the moment.

After a couple of minutes, she raised her head and looked into his eyes. "Okay, so while this is awesome and I'd happily stay right here forever, maybe we should check out those places you wanted to see around the school. Where do you wanna start?"

A wicked grin spread across John's face. "The staffrooms of course. I have a few teachers who deserve a bit of payback."

Becky giggled. "Oooohh, this sounds like fun! Lead the way..."