Chapter Twenty-Six: Boosting Morale

Billy just shook his head, looked at John and raised his eyebrows. They all burst out laughing as the 'time to go in' announcement came over the PA.

Lance jumped to his feet first. "Okay, well I'm going back to my game. Billy and I can talk to Ballou tonight and see how he reacts. So I'm assuming we're goaling for the party to be this Saturday night, yeah?"

They all agreed, and John grabbed Becky's hand. "Well, we're off too. Catch you guys later," he said, winking at Billy as he whisked Becky away.

Billy smiled. John wasn't just good for Becky; he was also an all-round nice guy. He'd whisked Becky away so him and Kate could have some alone time before they went in. Not that they had long before the supervisors started hounding them to get inside. But five minutes was five minutes.

He turned to Kate and grinned. "So...regretting getting involved in my crazy world yet? You have until I count to five to change your mind and run for the hills. One, two..."

Kate's answer made his head spin. Instead of using words, she simply leaned over and kissed away all objections.

* * *

He tried to wipe the goofy smile off his face before entering the room, but he knew it was hopeless. You're just a goofy love-struck schmuck, Pellins. He shrugged, opened the door, and prepared for the onslaught of good-natured bagging.

He sighed in relief when he discovered Lance was the only one there. Even better, the guy was totally immersed in killing monsters on his game. He threw himself onto his bed and kicked off his shoes. Damn life was good. He was perfectly happy to just lie there and relive every moment of the best day ever.

"So...I gather Kate reacted to the sight of Becky and John a little better than I did, eh? I still can't believe I fainted...twice...what a dork." Lance shook his head in self-disgust.

Billy chuckled. "Hey, she had a bit more warning than you. And she didn't have to deal with John's disembodied head poking through the door."

"Yeah, that was pretty freaky. Anyway, how do you wanna approach the whole party idea with Ballou? I thought maybe we should try the old Good Samaritan thing, ya'know, worried about our fellow dorm buddies?"

"You know him better than I do...if you think that might work I'm happy to give it a go."

They were interrupted by a knock at the door. "Room checks," called Mr Ballou, and the door swept open.

"Hey guys. How was your first day at the new school Billy?"

Billy smiled. "Yeah, good thanks Mr Ballou. It helped having a few friends there before I started."

"So that would be Lance and...?" Mr Ballou chuckled and winked. "Maybe that pretty new girl...Kate isn't it?"

Billy's face felt like it was on fire. "Ummm..."

"Hey, it's all good. I happen to think a little romance is good for the soul. And good for morale as well. I wish I could get that through some of the senior boys' thick heads." He shook his head sadly.

Lance snapped to attention. Ballou had given them the perfect lead. "Hey Mr Ballou, we were just talking about that. I was telling Billy how some of those guys used to be way happier than they are now. We've been trying to think of a way to help."

"Good luck with that! It must be some new-age hormonal thing. They seem to hit year eleven, and it's like BAM, they turn into total sour-faced goons."

Lance took a deep breath. "Well...we were thinking maybe a party or something might help? You know, beginning of a new term, meet the newbies, that sort of thing. Just for like years ten, eleven and twelve? We could use the senior common room? Whadya think?"

Ballou appeared to be considering the idea, which was definitely a good sign. "Ya'know, that's not a bad idea Lance. Might at least show we're trying to help. It would have to be Saturday night, and we'd have to get Mr Howt's approval, but I'm thinking this might be just what's needed around here."

Billy cleared his throat. "Ummm, I don't know how things work around here sir, but do you think we could include the girls as well? You said yourself a little bit of romance is good for morale. Might be a good chance for them to get to know each other, without the guys having to step too far out of their comfort zone."

"Boys, I think you might be onto something here. Leave it with me while I mull over the details. We'll talk again tomorrow night. Lights out at 9pm...goodnight." He opened the door to leave, a sparkle in his eyes. "Can't wait to tell the wife this one...romance is good for morale..." He chuckled and closed the door.

Billy waited until he heard Ballou enter the room next door, and then jumped up and gave Lance a high-five. "I actually think he might go for it!"

Lance frowned. "Don't get too excited yet. Even if we have Ballou's backing, we still need to get it past Mr Howt and the other supervisors. But we've got all week to work on them, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see."

Billy's phone pinged. A text message from Kate.

Have you spoken to Ballou yet? What did he say?

"Kate wants to know how we went with Ballou...what should I say?"

Lance shrugged. "Just tell her so far so good and we'll give her the details at school tomorrow."

Billy typed the reply, and the phone pinged again within seconds.

Great, can't wait to see you tomorrow. I really enjoyed tonight.

Billy blushed and kept his eyes down.

Lance groaned. "I do not want to know what that message said. I'm gonna go back to my game and leave you two lovebirds to your texting. Just pretend I'm not here."