Chapter Eleven: Consequences

Becky was amazed at how quickly Lance got over his shock and accepted the presence of ghosts in his life. Once the initial horror had worn off, Lance had actually decided the whole thing was pretty cool. He and Billy were currently laughing as John described how hard it was to move objects, explaining how Becky had shot a basket with the basketball, and he couldn't even make it roll more than a few inches.

When John got up to the part about flicking Brad's hat off his head, Becky noticed that Billy had stopped laughing. He was glaring at her with that you-are-in-so-much-trouble look he'd perfected over the years. John seemed to realise he'd lost his audience, and stopped talking.

"So why don't you tell us about this part Becky. You know, the part that came straight after I specifically asked you to avoid the Paranormal Club."

Becky smiled sheepishly. "We did it for you Billy..." Billy opened his mouth to say something and she held up her hand. "Wait, let me finish. Those dorks were saying they were going to start stalking you, 'cos they reckoned the ghost was attached to you." She shrugged. "So I thought if we hassled them when you weren't around they might leave you alone. And it worked...didn't it?"

Billy gave a huge sigh and shook his head. "I get that you had my best interests at heart Beck', but now we have a much bigger problem than them following me around. You've now pretty much confirmed their suspicions that there actually is a ghost around, and from what I know, Paranormal Club geeks tend to be obsessive about proving that kind of stuff."

Becky grinned. "You always did worry way too much. What are they gonna do...set a trap or something like in Ghostbusters?"

Lance cleared his throat. "Actually Becky, that's exactly what they might do. Brad, the club president, comes from a family with boat-loads of money. I've heard he has some far-out and fandoogly electronic equipment he talked his dad into buying for the club. No idea whether it actually works, but..."

John looked at Lance in horror and groaned. "Unbelievable! So I finally start enjoying the whole 'being a ghost' thing, and now I'm gonna have a bunch of geeks trying to suck me into some machine!"

"Hang on John, don't start panicking yet...I have an idea," Lance said. He looked at Billy with a devilish grin.

Billy raised his eyebrows. "Why are you looking at me like that? Something tells me I'm not gonna like this idea of yours..."

Lance chuckled and rubbed his hands together. "It's simple really...Billy needs to join the Paranormal Club. That way we'll know what equipment they have, and how to get around it!"

Everyone started to talk at once.

"Lance, you're brilliant..."

"Awesome idea..."

"Thanks, glad you..."

"Seriously?" Billy yelled, looking at them all as if they'd lost their minds. "There is no way I'm joining that bunch of geek nerds! Everyone'll think I'm like them. It'd be like committing social suicide! Why can't you join the damn club, if you think it's such a great idea?"

Lance sighed. "Because I've been here too long, and everybody knows I can't stand them. But you're the new guy, and no one will know you're not really into that sort of thing, so they'll accept you. Not only that, what better way is there to convince them the ghost has nothing to do with you? C'mon...you have to admit it's a pretty good idea. And it would only be temporary. As soon as we're sure Brad's machines don't really work, you can just tell them you're over it and quit the club."

Billy frowned. "And exactly how are we gonna find out whether this equipment they've got works or not?"

Becky was starting to get excited. "Well, I guess that depends on whether we convinced them we're here already. If not, I'm sure John and I can think up some way of getting Brad to show you his imitation Ghostbusters stuff."

John looked at her horrified. "Have you even seen the movie Ghostbusters? They use a machine that sucks ghosts into a box!"

Becky grinned. "Yep, but there was also a switch to release them again wasn't there? So I guess we'll just have to rely on our friends to reverse it if it happens." She winked cheekily at Lance and Billy.

Becky saw the look on Billy's face and instantly felt guilty. He looked really worried, and as usual it was all her fault. Becky sighed. "I'm sorry Billy, I didn't think..."

Billy jumped to his feet, his face red as a beetroot, and glared at her. "That's the whole problem Becky...you never think! I've been trying for years to explain to you about consequences, but because you never have to worry about them, you just barrel your way into trouble and walk away scot free every time. Maybe you might finally learn your lesson if I just let these guys have you!" He stormed out the door, slamming it behind him.

A stunned silence filled the room following his exit.

Lance finally found his voice. "Wow, I would never have pegged Billy as the temper-tantrum type..."

Becky groaned, feeling totally miserable. "That's just it though...he's not! I've never seen him do anything like that before. I mean, I know I frustrate the hell out of him, and can be a bit annoying sometimes," John coughed and she glared at him, "but he never goes off like that. Guess I'd better go see what I can do to fix things?"

Lance frowned. "Ummm, maybe not Becky. He looked like he needed to blow off some steam. He's probably on the basketball court throwing hoops or something...that's what I do when I need to calm down and start thinking rationally."

John floated over to where she sat and put his arms around her. "Lance is right Beck'...it's a guy thing. Just give him some time and he'll be fine."

Becky shrugged. "Fine, I'll leave him alone. But if he's not back in half an hour I'm going looking for him!"