Chapter Twenty-Nine: Mr Howt Approves

Billy burst into his room, dropping his bag and ripping off his school shirt. Lance was right behind him. "Did he look like he had good news or bad news to you?" Lance asked as he pulled a clean t-shirt out of the cupboard.

Billy shrugged into his t-shirt. "No idea...but the sooner we get back there the sooner we'll find out."

The boys were changed and back at the basketball court in five minutes flat. Kate came running out of the girls' dorms to meet them. "Where're Becky and John? Aren't they coming to the meeting?"

Billy shrugged. "They weren't in the room when we got home, so they don't even know about it yet."

"Don't know about what yet?" Becky said as she popped up beside Kate.

Kate jumped and then laughed nervously. "I don't think I'll ever get used to that Becky...you frightened the life outta me."

John floated up to the group and laughed. "I keep trying to tell her that Kate, but she's always in such a hurry to get where she's going there's no stopping her."

Kate turned to Becky with a twinkle in her eye. "Hey, did you guys hear about the fire at school this afternoon?"

Becky looked quickly at John and then at the ground. "Ummm no...what happened?"

Kate grinned. "Apparently someone set the sprinklers off over old jerkface Jones' desk. All his famous sporting paraphernalia was totally ruined. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person, if you know what I mean. I reckon if it ever comes out who did it they'll be hailed as a hero."

Billy cleared his throat. "Totally weird how it happened just after you guys were at the school. Was he teaching there when you were there John?"

John smiled sheepishly. "He sure was. Listen, I know what..."

Billy held up his hand, grinning from ear to ear. "Hey, from the stories I've heard, the guy's had it coming for years. For once I'm actually jealous of you guys being able to slip in and out of places without anyone knowing. So...nice work!"

Everyone burst out laughing at the totally confused look on Becky's face. She kept opening and closing her mouth like a goldfish, speechless.

Billy reined in his laughter and looked at his watch. "Damn, now we're late. Come on, we gotta go."

Becky put her hands on her hips, finally finding her voice again. "Yeah, nice attempt at changing the subject...so what were you saying about something we don't know?"

Billy looked at Becky and sighed. He'd secretly been hoping she didn't show up before the meeting so he wouldn't have to spend the whole time stressing over her losing her temper in front of the staff. "Okay, Mr Ballou wants us back up at the office as soon as possible so we can discuss the decision about the party with the principal."

Becky's eyes were sparkling with excitement, and Billy raised his hand. "BUT...you're only allowed to come if you promise not to do anything stupid! Like throwing a tantrum if someone happens to say something you don't like..." He looked pointedly at Kate and back at her.

Becky managed to look contrite. "Okay, I promise...no-one will ever know we were there. Now, can we go please? Wouldn't wanna keep them waiting..."

John wrapped his arm around Becky and gave Billy a subtle nod. Billy sighed with relief; at least John was on the job.

They walked to the office, and Mr Ballou escorted them to Mr Howt's office. When Mr Ballou knocked on the open door, Mr Howt was on the phone, but he waved them all in, pointing towards seats around a long table that looked like it'd come straight out of a boardroom.

Mr Howt finished his phone conversation, and they all pulled chairs up around the table. Becky and John moved to the other side of the room, and Billy had to stifle a grin as Becky settled herself on top of the principal's desk.

"Good afternoon," My Howt said as he looked at each of them. "Mr Ballou tells me you are the students who came up with the idea of the senior dorm party?"

The three friends nodded uncertainly, not sure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing to admit to.

"Well, as Kate and Billy have only been here at the college a few days, I'm assuming it must have been inspired by something Lance said. Would that be right Lance?" Mr Howt raised his eyebrows and looked over the top of his glasses at Lance's blushing face.

Lance swallowed and took a deep breath. "Ummm...well sir...w-we were talking about it on Sunday, and Billy and Kate were saying they never see any of the senior boys around, and asked what's with that. So I told them about how weird it was that the boys seemed to change when they became seniors, and how Mr Ballou was always worried about them. We thought having the party in their common room might improve the vibe coming from that section of the dorm, and having the year tens and the girls there as well might help to inject some enthusiasm."

Mr Howt was nodding slowly. When Lance had finished talking, he turned to Kate. "What are your thoughts on the idea Kate? Do you think the girls would be interested in joining in?"

Kate smiled calmly, her acting skills coming into play. "Well sir, I know I'm only new, but sometimes having the perspective of 'an outsider looking in' presents a clearer picture of a situation. I haven't seen any of the senior boys interact with other students in the time I've been here, and I know the girls are confused by their lack of interest in any of the activities. While I don't think the party will effectively solve the problem, I feel it would be a good place to start."

Mr Howt was now smiling as well as nodding, Kate's logical and analytical view of the situation obviously swaying his consideration. "Billy...do you have anything to add to your friends' comments?"

"Not really sir. I think Kate and Lance have pretty much covered everything. Except I would like to add that I think the party would also be an excellent way for the new students to meet everyone as well."

Mr Howt turned to Mr Ballou and smiled. "Well,  it seems you were right Mr Ballou. This party sounds like it would be very good for student morale, and if it goes well we may even implement it as a regular beginning of term event. Could you please complete the necessary paperwork regarding budget and risk assessment and have it to me by Thursday?"

Mr Ballou grinned and nodded. Mr Howt turned to the three friends and smiled. "Thank you for your insightful and responsible views on this situation. I'll try to stick my head in the door sometime Saturday night and see how things are going." He stood up to indicate the meeting was over, and they filed out the door. Mr Ballou remained behind, and as he closed the door behind them he grinned and winked.

"Yesss!" Billy hissed, punching the air in victory as soon as the door had closed.