Chapter Nineteen: The Other Side of the Door

Becky floated back and forwards impatiently, sticking her head through the door every time she heard a noise. She kept expecting the 'ghosthunters' to come bursting through the door any minute. Although she hadn't said as much to John,  she was pretty sure the water hadn't penetrated the outside of the device, so if the damn thing had ever worked in the first place it probably still did now.

When Billy opened the door and entered the room alone, she wished she could throw herself at him and give him a big hug. He looked terrible, his pale face and shaking hands telling Becky they had a big problem before he even opened his mouth. He slumped down onto his bed.

"Right..." Lance said. "I'm assuming from the state of you that things didn't go well?"

Billy looked up and shrugged. "Well, that depends on your interpretation of 'things going well'. If you consider Brad's device working perfectly, and it not picking up traces of John and Becky, then yes, it went well. On the other hand, if you consider that Brad's device picked up some very angry and scary entity currently residing at the other end of the dorm, then maybe not so well..."

"What the hell are you talking about? What kind of 'entity'? What did it do?" Becky had a bad feeling about this. her and John had been down there heaps of times and never come across anything unusual.

Billy told them the whole story, from them leaving the shed to Billy's parting conversation with Brad on the basketball court. "So maybe you can tell me what kind of thing we're dealing with here?"

Becky sunk down onto the floor. She had a feeling she knew exactly what they were dealing with. She'd never come across one before, but she'd heard plenty of stories. And as a Guardian Angel, it was her responsibility to deal with it.

She could feel Billy's eyes on her. "Be-e-eck?" He dragged her name out like he always did when she was in trouble. "You've been way too quiet. What's going on? Do you know something about all this that we don't?"

Becky sighed, unable to repress the shiver running down her back. "Ummm... I can't be sure 'till I check it out, but it sounds to me like we may have a nasty poltergeist on our hands."

All three boys looked at her with totally blank expressions. Lance shrugged. "Ummm, I don't know about the others, but I have no idea what that means. What exactly is a... whatever-you-just-called-it?"

Becky's nerves settled a little when John floated over and put his arm around her. "Sorry Beck, but you might need to give us a bit more information about what this poltergeist thing is...I always thought that was just another name for a ghost." Billy and Lance were nodding in agreement, although Becky was pretty sure Lance had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

Becky took a deep breath. "Okay, a ghost is a human who's passed on. They usually have some kind of unfinished business they need to deal with before they can move on. Poltergeists, on the other hand, are extremely angry and violent non-corporeal entities, which means they never existed as a real person. Their sole purpose for existing is to scare and anger people. Basically, they're bullies who survive by feeding off the negative emotions they produce in humans."

"So...where did it come from? And why is it here at the college?" John wore a worried frown. She'd been hoping to avoid answering those questions.

"They can actually be created by human thoughts. So like, if a lot of negative stuff's happened in a certain area, that energy could create one of these shadow type apparitions, or poltergeists. Once it exists, it can infect human thoughts so that the negative energy thrives."

The looks of horror on the boys' faces would have been funny if the problem wasn't so scary. "So how do we get rid of it?" Billy asked.

Becky shrugged, looking down at her hands. "I think I might need a bit of advice from a Higher Power on this one. I've heard of other An...ghosts having to deal with them, but I've been lucky enough to avoid them until now..."

Becky could see the suspicion growing in Billy's eyes. "So who's this Higher Power you're talking about? And why is this the first time I've ever heard you mention one?"

"You need to tell him Beck'...it's time..." Becky looked at John in horror as the words came out of his mouth. Her eyes flew to Billy, but it was too late. Hurt, anger and...was it jealousy?...radiated from Billy's eyes.

"Tell me what? What does he know, after knowing you for five minutes, that I don't know after fifteen years?" Damnit, she should never have told John before she told him. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. It was definitely time.

She looked up directly into Billy's eyes. "Remember when we were little you used to ask me why I hadn't moved on? Well, I sorta didn't tell you the whole truth. Thing is, when I died I was given a choice, mainly because of the whole twin connection thing. I could either be reborn and live another life, never knowing you even existed, or I could stay with you, as your Guardian Angel." She shrugged. "I chose to stay with you..."

Billy looked stunned. "You chose not to have your own life, to stay and watch over me instead? Becky that's insane!"

Becky burst out laughing. "Of all the reactions I ever imagined you having when I told you, that was not one of them. Anyway, that's the big secret I should never have told John before I told you...I guess I didn't want you to know 'cos I thought you'd be mad at me." She shrugged and looked back down at her hands. "Sorry..."

"Mad at you? Are you kidding...it's a huge relief. I've spent my whole life feeling guilty 'cos I got to live and you didn't. Now that I know you could have, and chose not to..." he shrugged, "somehow it makes me feel better." Becky's mouth dropped open in surprise. So much for her big secret! All he'd been worried about was her telling John something before she told him. Unbelievable!

John pulled her close, an apologetic smile on his face. "And I definitely think you made the right decision. Otherwise we might never have met." He was blushing and looking guilty for spilling her secret. Becky giggled to herself. She knew it was evil, but she couldn't help wondering how long she could pretend to be the injured party and milk the 'how-can-I-ever-make-it-up-to-you' thing.

Her scheming was interrupted by Lance clearing his throat from across the room. "Ummm...hello...remember me? Can we please get back to the subject of how we're going to deal with the polliguy, or whatever the hell it is, down the hall?"

Becky, Billy and John burst out laughing. "Sorry Lance, you're right...we did sorta stray from the point of all this," Becky spluttered, trying to stop laughing. "And it's a poltergeist, although 'pollyguy' does sound kinda cute."

Lance blushed furiously and threw a pillow at her, which of course passed straight through and hit the cupboard, making him blush even more. "Damn it, I keep forgetting you're a ghost...you shouldn't look so real. Someday I'll figure out a way to payback a ghost!"

"Don't hold your breath." Becky grinned and winked.

"Ummm...I hate to be a party-pooper but Lance is right. What happens now? It's not gonna be dangerous for you to deal with this thing is it?" John's arms tightened around her, his eyes worried. Becky got that fluttering feeling in her tummy and sighed.

"Okay, like I said before, I'll have to go Upstairs and ask the Powers That Be, which is always a pain. They love lecturing me about the importance of wearing the recommended uniform, you know, the whole gossamer wings and white dress thing. Unfortunately for them, I found a loophole in the rules years ago. The wording used is recommended not compulsory, so...ta-da!" She jumped up and spun around, changing her outfit before their eyes into the most outrageous combination she could think of. If she was going to get up the Archangels' noses about being out of uniform, she may as well do it in style.

"I don't know how long I'll be gone. Time isn't something They follow up there." She fluffed up her purple and pink hair, kissed John's astonished lips and smiled at Lance and Billy. "Be back soon..." she crooned, and then vanished.