Chapter Thirteen: Outside Influences

"Have you completely lost your mind?" Becky yelled, the goofy grin on Billy's face infuriating her more every minute. "You invited little miss 'everyone-knows-there's-no-such-thing-as-ghosts' to join the Paranormal Club with you? Seriously Billy...what were you thinking? Actually, maybe that should be what were you thinking with?"

Billy blushed furiously, a warning look in his eyes, and Becky knew she'd gone too far. "Okay, I'm sorry...I didn't mean that. It's just that Kate is the last person we need snooping around at the moment. I'm just worried that you don't seem to be able to think clearly when you're near her."

Billy sighed and sat down. Becky felt horrible for bursting the happiness bubble he'd been floating in since his chat with Kate, but she'd been absolutely floored when he'd told them that Kate was joining the club with him. Becky got that he was really into this girl and wanted to spend time with her, but this whole Paranormal Club thing was getting way out of control.

Becky was pretty sure the equipment the geeks had wouldn't pick her up because of her being a Guardian Angel. But John was an entirely different matter altogether. He was 100% ghost, and if these machines worked he was totally defenceless. And she was not prepared to lose him when she'd just found something she never even knew she could have.

She moved over to Billy and sat down beside him. "Maybe you guys should get some sleep and we'll talk in the morning. It's been a helluva day, and I know if I still had a brain it would be spinning right now." She chuckled at her feeble attempt at humour. "I'm so sorry I got you into all of this Billy. I love you y'know..."

Billy smiled at her and shook his head. "You'd think I'd be used to my life being like a giant rollercoaster ride by now. It's all good...we'll fix it all somehow. G'night Beck, and I love you too..."

John reached for her hand and they floated out through the door. Becky was so confused she just followed him without thinking. Meeting John today had been the best thing that had ever happened to her, but the fight with Billy had definitely been the worst. She never seen Billy so angry, and she had no idea what had happened or how to handle the situation.

When they reached the trees, John turned her to face him. "You okay baby?"

Becky dropped her head onto his chest and his arms came around her. "Billy and I have had our arguments over the years, but nothing like what happened today. I don't get it. Everything just feels so different."

John rubbed her back as he held her, and it felt unbelievably good. "I think maybe it might have something to do with the fact that you guys have never really had any other people involved in your world. I mean, you've obviously had people around you all your lives, but none of them have ever shared your secret or had an impact on your lives. Does that makes sense?"

Becky looked up at him in awe, stunned by his ability to see the big picture. "You're right! That's exactly what's different! I've been trying to work out what I'd done differently, thinking it had to be my fault. I'd never even thought of the effect of outside influences on our relationship, because there've never been any before!" She smiled up at him and tilted her head. "So how did you get to be so smart...?"

Becky felt his chest vibrate under her head as he chuckled. "Good question! I definitely wasn't this smart when I was alive, I could never see the forest for the trees." He sighed wistfully, looking over her head at the trees. "Maybe I'd still be alive if I had..."

Becky reached up and touched his face, and he looked down at her. "Sorry to be selfish, but I'm kinda glad you're dead like me...would have been a bit hard to be doing this if you were still alive." She grinned cheekily as he bent down to kiss her, and all lucid thoughts evaporated. His lips were so soft and gentle, moving over hers in a tender caress. She hadn't realised just how lonely she'd always been, accepting that her link to Billy was all she'd ever have. Until she found John.

When John finally lifted his head he smiled. "Hmmm...yeah okay, you're right. Being dead definitely has its advantages."

Becky giggled, a feeling of contentment washing over her. "So...whadya wanna do now? We've got hours to kill before our 'alive' friends are awake. Ummm...your place or mine?" She burst out laughing at the shocked look on his face. She turned and flitted off towards the boys' dorms, knowing he'd be right behind her.