Chapter Twenty-One: The Powers That Be...

The huge pearly white double doors were just as intimidating as Becky remembered from the last time she'd sat in this exact spot waiting for an audience with the Archangels. Although her last visit had been years ago, she still remembered it like it was yesterday. She'd been summoned for her Ten Year GAPR (Guardian Angel Performance Review), and it had not been pretty.

She'd had no idea the Archangels were aware of everything that happened on earth all the time. So she'd silently endured the lectures about 'the appropriate behaviour of Guardian Angels', resisting the urge to giggle every time a particularly memorable event was mentioned. And then there'd been the lecture about 'suitable attire'...

Becky grinned, a wicked feeling of self-satisfaction snaking its way through her mind. Bugger them! She was glad she'd put so much thought into the outfit she'd changed into for her upcoming interview. If she was going to have to put up with a lecture, she may as well enjoy the shock value along the way.

A magnificent looking angel, perfectly adorned in the correct attire, opened the doors and peered down her nose at Becky. "Guardian Angel 24571689?"

Becky maintained the wicked grin and nodded. To her credit, no reaction to Becky's cheekiness showed on the 'perfect' angel's face, except maybe that the frown of disapproval deepened. "Your request for an audience has been granted. Please come through."

Becky jumped up and smoothed out the wrinkles in her fashionably torn jeans, shrugging her shoulders so her black lacy top dropped further off one shoulder. "Thanks, I know the way," she said, flicking her purple and pink hair back as she passed the messenger and headed down the white marble corridor. Everyone here had a real thing about white, and Becky knew her outfit made her stick out like a circus clown. Care factor...zero she thought as she entered the Inner Sanctum.

The six members of the Archangel Council, or the Powers That Be as she called them, floated above the marble floor in a circle. Becky was sure they did it so there was no question about who had the power and who didn't. Not that Becky cared either way, it didn't bother her in the slightest who was the boss, or what they thought of her, she only wanted information. She had to admit she was impressed by how quickly their faces recovered from the shock of seeing her 'so inappropriate attire'.

Archangel One spoke first. "We assume you are here about the presence of the poltergeist in your new place of residence?"

"How did you...?" Becky shook her head. Of course they already knew why she was here. They knew everything! She took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes, I've come to ask what I need to do to dispose of the entity. As you know, I've never had to deal with this kind of thing before."

Archangel Two chuckled. "Could it be that Guardian Angel Becky is finally growing up? There was a time when you would have gone in boots and all with no idea what you were doing. I am impressed that you came to us for help." The smile was replaced by a frown. "We will, however, discuss the outfit later."

Becky smiled at Two. "Thank you...I think. So...what do I need to do to get rid of this thing?"

One spoke again. "It takes an enormous amount of negative energy to create an entity such as this. And in order for it to continue to thrive, the negative energy must be maintained. Your new friend, John, was a victim of the poltergeist's negative influence. He was not the first, and he won't be the last...unless you can destroy it."

Becky reeled at the mention of John's name. "You mean stopping the poltergeist is John's unfinished business? So if we can destroy it, he will move on?" She felt a sharp pain somewhere in the vicinity of where her heart used to be at the thought of losing John. She sighed. "What do we have to do then?"

"The poltergeist cannot continue to exist if surrounded by positive energy. You and your friends simply need to reverse the energy flow from negative to positive."

"And exactly how are we supposed to do that?"

"I'm afraid that's your problem. We can only tell you the what and the why... you must work out the how, when and where," One smiled.

Two looked at Becky with sympathy in her eyes. "If it helps, you have already started the process by helping John. The loss of his negative energy would have weakened the entity considerably. Look for others who are suffering as John was when you found him." Two smiled again, her eyes holding a hint of conspiracy. "It will not be an easy task. You must also make sure that John has a part in the process...so that he can move on."

One made a grunting sound and frowned at Two in disapproval. She bowed her head and became silent. "We have given you all the information you require to perform this task, the rest is up to you. Was there anything else?"

Becky shook her head. "No, thank you, I will take your advice on-board and see what I can do."

She turned to leave, sucking in a breath when One's voice stopped her mid-stride. "Not so fast... Did you really think you'd be able to leave before we discussed your...ahem...choice of attire?" Becky groaned and prepared for the onslaught.

* * *

Becky was relieved to find Billy's room empty when she got back. She desperately needed some time alone to think. She hadn't even considered John's involvement in all this until the Archangels had mentioned him. This was John's chance to move on...to be reborn into another life. And it was her job to help him do it...whether she liked it or not!

The whole thing sucked! She'd finally found someone she could connect with, both emotionally and physically, and she was expected to just let him go. Damnit, she didn't want to lose him. Why couldn't she be selfish just this once? Why did it always have to be about what was best for everyone else? She thought about her existence before she'd met John. She'd never even realised how lonely she was. And now that she knew what was possible, the loneliness would be a thousand times worse. She couldn't do it. She just wouldn't tell him what the Archangels said and he could stay here with her forever.

But what about John? Didn't he deserve to know that he could be reborn and live a normal life? She remembered how angry he'd been about his life being cut short. He'd be so excited to know he didn't have to be a ghost anymore, that he could have a whole new life. Nope, she couldn't be that selfish. She knew she'd have to tell him the truth.

She felt John appear behind her, and smiled sadly as his arms slid around her waist. "Hey beautiful, I missed you...when did you get back?" he whispered into her ear. Becky sighed and leaned back against him. Damn she'd miss this!

She turned in his arms and looked up into his eyes. "I just got here...perfect timing! Where are Billy and Lance?"

John looked at her and frowned. "They're at school...should be home soon. But why the sad eyes? What did the 'Powers That Be' have to say? Do I need to go kick some Archangel butt?"

Becky tore her eyes away and laid her head against his chest. "That probably wouldn't be a good idea," she said, trying to pull herself together, "even if you knew how to find them."

The sound of laughter and movement outside the door saved her from having to answer his questions. She gave a huge sigh and tightened her arms around his waist. She should have known John wouldn't be so easily distracted. His hand slid under her chin and titled her face up to his, his eyes searching for answers in hers. "What happened baby?" he asked softly.

Becky could feel the tears burning for release. "It's complicated, and it sounds like the boys are home. I'll tell you all about it later."

John looked like he was about to say something, but stopped as the door burst open and Billy and Lance barrelled into the room laughing.