Chapter Thirty: Girl Time

Becky's sat on Kate's bed, the tears she'd been holding back for days finally flowing. It just wasn't fair! "I honestly don't know what I'll do if John has to leave tomorrow night. Once we deal with the poltergeist, I'm pretty sure he's gonna have to move on... whether he helps us or not. Dammit Kate, what am I gonna do without him?"

It felt good to finally be able to talk to someone about how much she was hurting at the thought of losing John. She'd been working so hard at trying not to think about it whenever John was around she was ready to burst. How could the universe be so cruel as to let her meet him, and find out what she'd been missing out on, only to take him away from her? Yeah, well, the universe totally sucked!

Kate looked at her in horror. "What are you talking about? I thought you said if he didn't help he'd be able to stay?"

Becky shook her head. "That's not how it works for ghosts. The Archangels told me it'd be best if he helped get rid of it, but they also said the poltergeist was his unfinished business. Once that's done, there's no way they're gonna let him stay."

"Does John know about this?" Kate asked softly.

Becky shook her head again. "I know he doesn't wanna leave, so I sorta kinda let him think..." She took a deep breath to stop the tears. "He thinks if he doesn't help us he'll get to stay indefinitely. I didn't have the heart to tell him it doesn't work that way."

"Oh Becky, I'm so sorry. This is all just so unfair...you guys belong together!"

"Yeah, well, Archangels don't care about that sort of thing. Rules are rules...no exceptions, regardless of what the circumstances are..."

She felt terrible when she saw the tears lurking in Kate's eyes as well. Enough wallowing Becky, it's not going to change anything. She shook herself and pasted a grin on her face, determined to snap them both out of their depressed state.

"Hey, this is not why I came over tonight. We're supposed to be picking something gorgeous for you to wear to the party tomorrow night. So show me what you got girl!"

The girls spent the next hour laughing as Kate put on outfits and Becky dismissed them.

"Becky, I'm running outta clothes here," Kate said, as she threw yet another outfit on the bed."

"Well at this rate, we're gonna have to go shopping and buy you something new. C'mon Kate. How often do we get to dress up and have the boys' eyes popping outta their heads?"

"Okay, well there is one dress..." She sighed and reached to the back of the cupboard, pulling out a beautiful green dress the exact colour of her eyes.

"Now you're talking," Becky said. "Why didn't you pull that one out first?"

Kate blushed. "My mum bought it for me for Christmas, and it just always felt to dressed up to wear anywhere."

She slipped the dress on and Becky broke into a wicked grin. The dress fell like a sheath of silky folds, hugging in all the right places and flaring out at the hips to end mid-thigh. Wow, Kate looked stunning.

"Billy is going to pass out when he sees you in that! Seriously, I can't wait to see his face!"

Kate turned to look at herself in the mirror and blushed even more. "Are you sure it's not too...something?"

"Oh yeah, it's definitely something alright...and you have to wear it. So...what do you think of mine?"

Kate turned back to look at Becky, and her jaw dropped. Becky smiled nervously, wearing exactly the same dress as Kate's but in a shade of blue exactly the same colour as her eyes. "Ummm...that's if you don't mind me wearing the same style?" Becky asked uncertainly.

Kate laughed. "Oh Becky, it's perfect! I always wanted a sister...and now I finally have one! I so wish I could hug you right now."

"Trust me. That makes two of us."

There was a knock at the door, and they recognised Mrs Stomp's voice. "Kate, is there someone else in your room with you?"

Kate grabbed her phone and held it to her ear as Mrs Stomp unlocked the door. "Nope, just me Miss. Sorry, I was just on the phone. Was I being too loud?"

Mrs Stomp looked around the room suspiciously, raising her eyebrows at the pile of clothes on the bed.

"Oh, and trying to work out what to wear to the party Saturday night." Kate smiled, blushing.

Mrs Stomp nodded and smiled. "Perhaps you could tone it down just a bit," she said as she backed out of the room. "Pretty dress, that'd be my pick," she added, and closed the door.

Kate and Becky both fell on the bed laughing.

"See. I told you it was perfect. Even Mrs Stomp agrees," Becky said, still spluttering.

"Yeah, and like we really needed her opinion."

They had just recovered when John's head popped through the door with his eyes closed. "You nearly done Beck'? Weren't we gonna watch a movie down on the big screen?"

"Don't you dare open your eyes! Tell the boys we'll be there in five minutes," Becky said, as she quickly changed her clothes.

John chuckled, his eyes still tightly closed. "Okay, okay...I'm going. See you in five minutes then," and he was gone.

Kate sat up on the bed with her eyes like saucers. "No wonder Lance fainted when he saw John's head like that. Talk about scary...and I've already met him."

Kate quickly changed her clothes and they headed to the large common room located near the kitchen. The boys were already sprawled on the lounge, the movie paused and ready to begin.

Billy grinned as he saw them enter the room. "About time...what have you two been doing?"

Becky rolled her eyes. "Girl stuff of course...not that you'd understand." She floated over to snuggle up to John, while Kate planted herself in between Billy and Lance.

"Okay, so what are you waiting for...start the movie already."

Kate chuckled and winked at Becky. Becky sighed, and decided having a best girlfriend was almost as good as having a boyfriend...almost.