Chapter Twenty-Three: Unfinished Business

The more she thought about it, the more excited Becky got at the thought of having a female friend. She'd spent years watching other girls be able to sit and share their thoughts on boys, clothes and the world in general. This was gonna be fun!

"Okay, so now that's sorted, we need to get started checking out the senior boys' area," she said, looking at John with a cheeky grin and a halo glowing over her head. "I'm thinking maybe you should go in first just in case they're like naked or something."

"No maybe about it...I will be going in first," John said, shaking his head at her. "Okay, so Billy, we'll meet you and Kate out near the trees after dinner then?"

Billy looked up from the text message he'd just received and smiled. "If I can convince Kate to wait that long...she's already started hassling me to tell her now."

Becky chuckled. "Something tells me Kate and I are going to be very good friends."

Billy rolled his eyes and had turned a pretty shade of green. She gave him a wicked smile, grabbed John's hand and they flitted out the door. They hadn't gone far when John pulled her to a stop, turning her to face him.

"You didn't really think I'd forget about the 'I'll tell you all about it later' conversation we were having when the guys got home, did you?" He asked, wrapping her in his arms.

Damn it, that's exactly what she'd been hoping. She looked into his gorgeous eyes, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Okay, you win. The Archangels also talked about ghosts, and why some ghosts move on quicker than others..." She rested her head against his chest and told him everything she hadn't mentioned when she'd relayed the story earlier, the part that involved John and his unfinished business.

John lifted her chin to look at him, his face a mask of confusion and dread. "So hang on, are you saying I don't get a choice in this? I can't just decide to stay, like you did?"

Becky was sure if she'd still had a heart it would have been breaking right then. "I was informed this is the way it works. The only reason I'm still here is because I was given the choice when I died. That ship sorta kinda sailed for you quite a while ago. Apparently you're only here until your unfinished business is sorted. And according to the Archangels, that business is getting rid of the poltergeist, because your anger all these years has helped sustain its negative energy."

"But what if I don't want to leave?" Sparks were practically shooting from his eyes. Man, he was not happy. "What if we just ignore the damn poltergeist and leave him where he is? Then what are they gonna do?"

"Babe, you and I both know that's not gonna happen. Now that we know about it, you wouldn't be able to just leave it there to keep destroying people's lives...we can't build our own happiness on the misery of those other kids. You know we have to deal with it..."

"Well, what if I don't help?" John's eyes were burning into hers. "I don't wanna leave Beck..." He dropped to the ground and pulled her into his lap. "I wanna stay here with you." His sad puppy-dog eyes were begging her to understand. "Isn't that what you want too?" he asked in a soft whisper against her ear.

"You have no idea how much I want you to s-stay...but it's the...r-rules." She sucked in a breath, trying to pull herself back together, but the pain was almost unbearable. "I was okay being on my own when I didn't know there were options, but now..." She shook her head against his chest. "We don't have a choice."

"Up until three days ago my existence was so miserable I'd have jumped at the chance to stop being a ghost. But now...damnit, I just want to stay with you! To hell with the Archangels." Becky was sure she heard a distant rumble of thunder. Maybe not the wisest choice of words honey? "We'll just have to think of a way to change the outcome and bend the rules. How hard can it be?"

That sat quietly holding each other for a while, and Becky knew John was doing exactly what she had ever since she'd left the Archangels...searching for a solution where they could be together. But she already knew there wasn't one...

Finally, she sighed and lifted her head, the smile she tried to conjure not quite working. "Well, nobody said it has to be done tomorrow. I guess we'll just have to make sure it takes a while, and we need to  make the most of every minute we have left until..."

A jumbled mess of conflicting emotions flickered in John's eyes as he cradled her face in his hands, dipped his head and kissed her softly, a long slow kiss full of sadness and regret. Becky clung to him, cherishing the moment and storing the memories. Apparently it wasn't enough that life sucked...eternity had to suck too!

John lifted his head and leaned his forehead against hers, grim determination laced with pain in his eyes. "Okay, let's make a deal that we don't talk about any of this until it's time. I don't want to ruin whatever time we have left."

Becky nodded, and he kissed her forehead, rising up off the floor with her still in his arms. She sighed as she regained her feet. "You're right. No point dwelling on it. So, we need to do something fun to take our minds off it."

And she knew just the thing to do it. A wicked grin spread across her face. "You know; I don't think it'll be necessary for you to go into those boys rooms ahead of me after all. Maybe it's time I found out what all the fuss is about when it comes to seeing naked boys. In fact, I'll be fine to do this job alone. No need for you to come with." She winked and took off down the corridor.

John was soon hot on her tail, obviously determined to overtake her before she made it to one of the senior rooms. He was chuckling, and muttering something about her damn halo slipping. She chuckled. No idea what that's all about.