Chapter Two: Hellesville College

Billy dumped his guitar on top of his over-sized duffle bag and slammed the back door of the Jeep. It was really happening; he was actually standing in front of Hellesville College Boarding School.

"Wow, this place is cool," Becky said from behind him. He groaned at the sound of her voice. How the hell was he going to survive living in a dorm full of teenage boys with Becky in tow! Seriously, if she didn't stop trying to cheer him up soon he'd go nuts!

"Come on Billy, you must admit it does look pretty cool... for a school. Hey that rhymes!" 

Billy turned and gave her a filthy look. She knew better than to expect him to acknowledge her in public. He was supposed to have outgrown his 'imaginary friend' years ago.

Becky pouted. "Okay, okay, so I got carried away! You're so boring sometimes Billy... I'm going to check the place out, I'll see ya in there." She winked out of existence and Billy sighed with relief. This was definitely gonna be a nightmare!

His mother finally climbed out of the driver's seat, a wad of paperwork in her hand. "Okay, Billy... you ready?" Her voice was overly bright, and he could see she was struggling to maintain her cheerful smile. They'd argued until he was blue in the face about this, but his parents had been adamant.

"It's only for a year," his father had said, as if that should make it all better.

"Yeah, well, a year is a helluva long time," Billy had yelled as he stormed out of the room.

He slung his guitar over one shoulder and his duffle bag over the other. His mother reached out, as if to offer to carry the guitar, but the look he gave her stopped her in her tracks. Knowing there was nothing left to say, she shrugged and headed towards the entrance to the school.

The entrance foyer looked more like a motel reception area than a school. Comfortable looking armchairs were pulled up around the round glass coffee tables scattered throughout the waiting area. He caught sight of a couple of other kids sitting with their parents and looking as miserable as he felt. At least he wouldn't be the only 'newbie'.

"Good afternoon," the smiling woman behind the front desk gushed. "Who do we have here?"

"Hello, I'm Diana Pellens, and this is my son Billy. He's enrolled to start here this term."

The woman looked down at the desk and highlighted a name on a long list. "Lovely to meet you Diana and Billy. I'm Mrs Stomp, and I'm one of the boarding supervisors. Do you have all the paperwork with you, Mrs Pellens? Billy, you can put your things over near the door and sit in the waiting area if you like. This shouldn't take too long."

He did as she'd suggested, and found a seat in the corner furthest from the front desk. It wasn't long before Becky popped back into sight in the chair opposite him.

"Okay, so I've checked out both the boys' and girls' dorms, the dining room, the computer room and the indoor heated pool. So far, it all looks pretty cool! And there are a couple of totally cute guys, so I won't be too bored."

Billy pulled on his ear, one of their secret signs that she should shut-up! She poked out her tongue and slumped in her chair, looking around at the other people in the waiting area.

A man appeared from the hallway beside the front desk, holding his hand out to the man at the next table. "Sorry to keep you waiting Jim, I had an urgent phone call to deal with. Donna, lovely to meet you. And Eric, welcome to Hellesville. Doug Howt...pleased to meet you. How about we go to my office and deal with all the paperwork?"

They all headed off towards what Billy presumed was the principal's office. He wondered what Eric's story was to warrant all the special attention. Although it wasn't all that hard to work out - Eric's sulky face had 'bad-boy' written all over him.

Becky was busily checking out the only other family in the waiting room. "Wonder what her story is? She looks about as happy to be here as you do."

Billy had been casting what he hoped appeared to be random glances in her direction as well. She hadn't lifted her eyes from her lap the entire time they'd been sitting there. These people looked more like three strangers than a family, as if they were forced to sit at the same table because there were no other seats.

He thought about his eccentric but loving parents, and a wave of guilt washed over him. He'd been an absolute jerk for the last three months, refusing to see it from their point of view as the opportunity of a lifetime. He didn't want his family to ever be like those people sitting there with huge walls between them.

He stood up and walked back to the counter, draping his arm around his mother's shoulder. "How's it going? Are we nearly done?" His mother's eyes flew to his and he shrugged. "Sorry I've been such a jerk."

The first real smile he'd seen in weeks lit up her face. "Oh honey, I'm glad you're gonna be okay. Your dad will be so relieved to hear you don't hate us."

Billy smiled. "Hey. It's only for a year remember?" He winked as her eyes filled with tears.

"I just wish Becky could have been here with you. It would have made it easier for you if you had someone with you."

Billy grinned as he nudged her. "I'll be fine mum. I'm sure she's here with me in spirit."