~ 22 ~

The next day

"In your eyes. I see there's something burning inside you. Oh, inside you," I sang under my breath as I closed my books and neatly put away my papers. I wasn't in a rush to go anywhere even if it was lunchtime already.

I had an exam to write at noon and had spent the whole morning revising what we learnt in the comfort of the library. I had even taken some books from the shelves to give me more knowledge. Yes, I was nervous about the whole thing.

Who wouldn't?

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I took it out before opening the text sent to me. It was sent by Naomi.

N: Let's eat together today. Meet me in the cafeteria

D: Sure

Finally standing up, I shoved my stuff into my bag and went straight to the cafeteria. I bumped into someone in the hall and when I looked up at the person, it turned out to be Robert. Fear was apparent in his eyes as he stared at me awkwardly, but that didn't stop me from smiling.

"Hi, Robert," I said and my eyes widened at what I called him. I was expecting him to correct me. Instead, he just gave me a forced smile. It confused me to no end. "Is something wrong, perhaps?"

"No. Nothing's wrong," he was quick to say. Why was he caressing his stomach? It's like he was pregnant. "And I'm so sorry, Debbie. Please forgive me."

What the fudge?

"For what?"

"Just please forgive me," he pleaded before hastily walking away.

"Hey! Why are you acting like this?" I called out behind him but he was long gone. His behaviour towards me was really strange? Was he still upset because I had suddenly stopped attending the book club meetings? That could be the only reason behind his behaviour. Or was he beginning to get appalled by my presence because of the video?

I thought he was different. Stop thinking about it, Debbie!

Biting my bottom lip quite hard, I strolled to my destination. Pushing open the cafeteria doors, I stepped in and scanned the place. There was no sign of Naomi. I sighed and neared the queue. Might as well wait in line while waiting for her to show.

I stood behind a girl who was wearing casual clothing. She briefly turned to look at me and did a double-take. When she got a better look of my face, her eyes widened. It made me uncomfortable and insecure. Did she recognise me from the video?

Oh, Lord. I felt like digging up a hole and jumping into its darkness. And maybe then I wouldn't be able to see everyone's judging eyes.

"What are you doing here?" she asked me in a hushed voice while looking around in paranoia.

"What are you talking about?" I asked back, confused. Wasn't the cafeteria for everyone or was it just me who thought like that? Rather than answering me, she faced forward and tapped the shoulder of the girl before her. The girl turned around with a confused face and then saw me.

Soon enough, the line cleared up as they made way from me to go to the front. What happened when I wasn't here yesterday? I stood in the same place nonetheless and they watched me expectantly. There was this noticeably hungry guy, so why wasn't he buying food for himself? They were making me feel uneasy.

First Robert and now this?

"Hey, girl," I heard Naomi's voice and she soon appeared next to me. I craned my neck to look at her with the what is going on face and she looked around confused. "What's happening?"