~ 12 ~

Today I woke up early and seized the car before my sister could. It wasn't something many would be proud of but it made me proud of myself. It wasn't a feeling I usually underwent. If Cassidy wanted to make this a competition then so be it. She was being unfair and I wasn't gonna let her continue on my watch.

I sighed heavily as I approached the car in the parking lot. Unlocking the door, I threw my bag in the backseat and climbed in. I still had to go to work, so I was in a rush.

"Debbie!" a familiar voice sounded. I looked outside my window and saw Robert approaching me. It seemed like he had been running or something.

I rolled down the window and smiled at him. "Hey. Do you need something?" I had to jump straight to the point because there was no time for small talk, literally.

"Not really. I wanted to check if you've been doing well because you stopped coming to the book club meetings," he explained as he adjusted the belt on his shiny pants.

So, he noticed.

"Things were not great at first but I'm doing great now. And I'm sorry for suddenly disappearing on you guys like that," I replied truthfully.

"It's cool. So, are you planning on ever coming back?"

"I would if I could but I cannot. My current job requires me to be at work at the time you guys hold your meetings," I said with an apologetic smile.

"Okay, then. I didn't mean to use your time."

"Bye," I waved with a smile and watched his retreating figure. Well, that went well.

***
The aroma of cinnamon and hazelnut lingered in the air. The whole bakery smelled delightful. Heidi had asked me if I wanted to help with making the doughs and stuff but I declined. I would probably mistake sugar for salt. Imagine selling salty products to the customers.

I went to clean one of the tables because the customers had just walked out. The place was customer free now. You'd think the table would be clean because they were just eating cupcakes. But, that wasn't the case.

The bell at the door dinged and I lifted my gaze. Naomi had entered the bakery. I didn't know she came around here. I quickly finished off what I was doing and went to the counter.

"Hello. Welcome to Heidi's. How can I help you?" I said with a smile. Heidi had told me it was compulsory to say that each time a new customer came.

Naomi was shocked to see me. "Oh, Debbie. I didn't know you work here," she let out. She was dressed casually but looked chic nonetheless.

"Yeah, I do."

"My family always buys bread from here and I've never seen you before. Did you start today?"

"No, I started a week or two back," I said and she nodded in understanding. I didn't know if I should have acted friendly or formal.

"That's nice," she started. "I'd like a loaf of banana bread and raisin bread," she added. I really wanted to ask if her family bought normal bread but resisted the urge to. We weren't really friends and it wasn't in my place to ask that.

"Okay. Do you want me to slice the loafs?"

"No, thanks."

"Fine. I'll be back," I spoke and opened the door that led into the kitchen. I grabbed the banana bread and searched for the latter. "Where is the raisin bread?"

All heads turned to me with questioning eyes, making me feel awkward.

"I've just taken it out of the oven. Let me pack it for you," my co-worker said and everyone else went back to work. She handed me the still warm bread and I thanked her before walking out, to see a patient Naomi. Heidi had four other employees.