Chapter 14: Guests, Returns and Farewells

The darkness was very loud. And it was arguing. With different voices. At first I couldn’t understand what they were saying, then the noise lessened, and the words became clear.

That didn’t help a lot, though. I opened my eyes, and saw the two elves quarrelling.

One of them was the Elvenking, and the other I have never seen before. His hair was golden, and face handsome. His clothes were silvery-grey and black, and didn’t resemble neither Rivendell nor Mirkwood outfits. He looked slightly irritated, while the king seemed calm and dignified as usual.

The unfamiliar elf looked my way, and noticed I was awake. He took a few steps towards me, and bowed.

“Lady Anne. I am Haldir of Lorien. I have been sent by My Lady Galadriel. She wishes to speak to you urgently. I am to escort you to her.”

I sat with effort. I was still hurting, but not nearly as much as before. I decided I should look more dignified while speaking to that Haldir. And it was time to finally put that whole month of suffering while learning etiquette to use.

“Welcome, Haldir of Lorien. It is fortunate that Lady Galadriel has sent you here, for I desire to speak to her as well.” I said, and noticed with satisfaction, that Thranduil’s eyes widened in surprise. Didn’t think I had it in me, eh, Your Highness?

“You are in no condition to travel.” Remarked the king.

“I feel well enough.” I replied. “I will be ready in an hour.” I turned to the Lorien elf.

He bowed, accepting my decision.

“No, you will not.” The Elvenking was furious. He said something in elvish and Haldir’s expression changed.

“Forgive me, I was not aware.” He told me.

“Aware of what?” I looked at him surprised. He looked between me and Thranduil, clearly not knowing what to say, and then answered something to the king.

I got angry. That was just rude. If they wanted to hide something from me, they could at least speak privately.

After a few words from the Elvenking, Haldir left, and I watched him with a stunned expression. Even the fact he seemed as displeased as I was, didn’t lift my mood.

“What was that about?” I asked. “How dare you decide for me who I can meet, and who not?!”

“You have almost died.” He turned his head another way. “Do you wish to correct that mistake?”

“ALMOST is a key word here.” I replied, and instantly wished I hadn’t. He turned, and the way he looked at me made me want to run and hide. He started walking my way, and I just watched him hypnotized. I could see I’ve really done it this time. The king has never been so angry before.

He put his hands on both of my sides, his eyes never leaving mine. I wasn’t sure what he was going to do, so I didn’t move, focused on him. He touched my forehead with his, and I felt an urge to close my eyes, because looking became too painful. I didn’t, however. This was a fight of wills again, and I intended to stand my ground till the end.

“I should lock you away.” He whispered.

“Bad idea. I’ve already escaped you twice.” I whispered back, feeling uncomfortable. His hair were brushing my almost-bare shoulders. Someone changed my clothes while I slept. I had only a blouse on now, and its cleavage was way too big for my taste.

He sucked in air and backed away a little hearing that, and then caught my chin, with his right hand. It was a quick and firm grip, and I squinted thinking he was finally going to hurt me, but nothing like that happened. He started tracing my lips with his thumb, and that scared me even more. What was going on? I looked in his eyes, and they seemed feverish. It wasn’t a good sign. But the real panic started when he leaned down again, closing his lips to mine.