Chapter 20:Journeys And Meetings

Rhydian walked into the main hall fully packed and prepared. This was the night, and he was going to finally see his bride. All of the wizards, and both Marcus and Algernon were already there, set and ready. The knight was fully armed, and packed. He looked like he was going to war. The prince noticed strange writings on the floor, forming a circle.

“What is this?” He asked, interested.

“It is a gate to another world.” Answered the Grand Wizard, putting some objects around the markings. They were weird, and the prince wasn’t sure what they were. He looked at Algernon, but the knight seemed calm and confident.

For the last three weeks Sir Rowanweb was avoiding him, unwilling to form a closer friendship, and he wondered what was the reason for it. Was he angry about the prince’s little blackmail? That was ridiculous. Surely he understood how politics worked. Besides, love justified any crime, and Rhydian was sure he loved Anne.

“When do we begin then?” He asked, watching the Lord Advisor and the captain of the guard whisper to each other. He hoped they weren’t planning to betray him. He ensured his safety giving one of his men a letter, that would be taken to his father in case he didn’t come back.

Algernon knew that, as he told him, making sure the knight wouldn’t try anything. Sir Rowanweb was a great strategist and commander, and also a fierce warrior. His army moved in unison, with precision he has never seen before. And all his soldiers adored him. If the knight wasn’t so loyal to this kingdom, he would have offered him to work for his father.

“The preparations are being finished. We shall start soon.” Assured the old man. 

“Your Highness.” Marcus approached him, looking nervous. “You will be transported to the randomly chosen place.” He said. “There is no telling where her highness may be now. You two will have to find her on your own.”

“Can’t the wizards give us something to show where she is?” The prince asked worried. He didn’t like the idea of running around some unknown world.

“If they could, they would.” Said Algernon joining them. His face was sour and he seemed uncomfortable.

“It is ready.” Announced the wizards.

After making sure they had everything, both the prince and the knight entered the circle. The mages started the incantation and, with no warning, the men suddenly lost their consciousness, hitting the hard, cold floor.

Wherever they landed, it was morning. The sun was just rising, and there was a forest in front of them. They looked around and saw mountains in the distance. They stood up, not knowing how long they’ve been unconscious, and looked around. The wood itself seemed beautiful and welcoming, so they crossed the line of trees with no fear.

***

I had been flying for hours by the time I finally felt it was safe to stop. It was after dawn already and the cold autumn air was starting to get warmer thanks to the sun. The pain increased slightly with every passing hour and it made me nervous. Maybe the ring overestimated Thranduil’s resilience? Maybe the king had less time than it thought? I certainly did, because there was only so much ache I could withstand and still think clearly. I had to hurry.

I ate and drank quickly on the shore. I was a little afraid to stop since I didn’t know this area. I flew in the opposite direction than before, going around the king’s palace. It was fortunate that the river divided as it did, and I could do it. It wasn’t the option I and  Legolas chose, but it was shorter than the other one, and I changed my mind the last moment. It might have been more dangerous, but I found delay much more risky than spiders and orcs. None of them could outrun me while I was flying, poison could.