Chapter 2: Rivendell

The ring that I put on so recklessly was supposed to have some great powers. Maybe it had, maybe not, but I could not use them anyway. As far as my little amount of magic was concerned, the ring was just a ring: some ugly looking piece of jewelry, which changed colour with my mood. And it wouldn’t go off.

After hearing I was going to become a queen because of that big, ugly stone set in silver-looking metal, I tried every way to get rid of it. I almost cut my finger off in the process. But it was useless. Nothing could remove it. My fate was sealed.

Now, while I was running with dwarfs and Gandalf, my ring’s stone was bright orange, which meant excitement. In the palace I would cover it, so that no one could read what I really thought of them, but here there was no need.

Suddenly we stopped and I almost bumped into one of the little men – the only one without a beard or shoes, and looking slightly different from the others.

I saw an opening before us. It looked like some kind of little, but very beautiful town. Was this the Rivendell Gandalf spoke about? I didn’t know, but it certainly was a place where I could feel safe.

The wizard smiled at me and winked. Only then I felt, that my jaw was down. Giggling a little, thinking what would Marcus say about my very-un-queen-like behavior I moved forward and then stopped again, because no one seemed ready to go anywhere.

“The Valley of Imraldis. In the Common Tongue, it’s known by a another name.” Said Gandalf and I looked at him surprised.

“Rivendell” whispered the barefooted dwarf.

“Here lies the last Homely House east of the sea.” The wizard spoke again, and I could see that the rest of the party was not happy to hear that at all.

“This was your plan all along, to seek refuge with our enemy.” Barked the one called Thorin.

“You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself.” The wizard answered.

“You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us.” shouted the dwarven leader.

I didn’t know what quest they were talking about, but I didn’t like the thought that those good and friendly elves would try hinder their plans. I decided I would have to find out more about the story. They didn’t seem to be evil, but I knew that one didn’t have to be a bad person, to do something wrong. Nevertheless I felt intrigued and would not stop until I got the full story. After all, since I was already here I could at least have some fun, before I was forced back into my gilded cage. I had no illusions – that was going to happen eventually, so I decided to make my stay here as fruitful as possible.

“Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me.” Said Gandalf and I laughed at his not-so-hidden self-prize. He was a strange and funny old man, and I could already feel that I was starting to like him.

The wizard frowned at me, but it didn’t scare me. He didn’t seem the type to take offence that easily. After all he put up with Thorin’s rudeness all the time.

We finally moved forward. The path was narrow and there were moments, when I almost fell down. I crept down with caution and quickly was left behind. I’ve heard sounds of music and laughter carried by the wind and got so preoccupied by both listening and keeping the balance, that I haven’t noticed a small man coming my way, until he spoke.