Chapter 6: King's Hospitality

The room was big and beautifully furnished. Somehow I expected to be taken to some kind of prison and was very surprised. A big bed stood in the middle, next to it was a carved bedside table. Red, soft carpet covered the floor and big, also red leaves covered the walls.

I loved the fact that nature was present everywhere. It reminded me of home – the real one, not the palace. I had a cottage at the edge of the forest, first and last place that belonged to me and me only.

There was no window, but I haven’t seen any in the rest of the palace either. Except on the ceiling, but they didn’t really count. I was left alone and wasn’t sure what to do. Was I a guest now? Or still a prisoner, just in more comfortable cell?

I went to the door and opened them. There were guards outside, who stopped me when I tried to go out of the room. A prisoner, then.

I got back inside and sat down on the bed, thinking. I had to get to the dungeons and help to free the dwarves. I couldn’t just leave them there. But how? And which way would we run away? I sighted. One thing at a time. First I had to think of how to free myself.

Someone knocked at the door and a she-elf entered. She gestured me to come after her, and led me out of the room, down the stairs again. We entered through a large door, and I saw an  underground hot spring. The woman gestured me to take off my clothes, and as I did, to enter the water. Right after I was bathed, and another elf servant brought new set of clothes for me.

The fact alone didn’t surprise me, as Elrond was kind enough to do the same, but that the king suddenly got all hospitable was suspicious. Did he think, that since the threats didn’t work, kindness would? Well, then he was in for a surprise, because I did tell him the truth. I had no idea how we ended up seeing each other in a dream.

After drying out I was dressed into what turned out to be an emerald dress, which somehow was jus my size, although I was much shorter than an average elf. I had no jewellery on, - except for my magical ring – since I put all of it into my bag, so that I didn’t lose it. They were quite expensive, and my treasurer would kill me if I did.

My bag, along with other things was taken away when I got disarmed, and probably got searched already. I had to get it back. I hoped nothing was stolen.

The maids led me somewhere, then they got replaced by the guards and I was escorted to another room again. It was really starting to annoy me.

When we entered I saw the king again. He wasn’t facing me. Again. And he was looking at something, but his broad back blocked the view. I looked around.

The room was quite big and resembled a study, except for a little fountain on the left. It was full of papers and books. In the middle stood one desk with comfortable looking armchair behind it.

I was reaching for one of the books when he finally spoke.

“Then you are also a thief.”

I rolled my eyes, though he couldn’t see it.

“And just how, may I ask, did you manage to come up with that idea?”

He turned to me, and I finally saw what was on the desk. They were my two rings, pair of earrings and a necklace. All made from white gold and precious diamonds and rubies.

“Will you deny that you have stolen these?”

“They are mine, I did not steal them.” I answered getting worried. Somehow I felt it would be harder to get my jewellery back now.

“And how would someone like you come into possession of things so precious, if not by stealing?” He asked. I got an impression that this conversation has been rehearsed before. Like he was following some kind of script.