Chapter 10: The Halls Of Erebor

I got up, straightened my dress, which was starting to look like a rag, and looked around. I couldn’t see the dwarves anywhere, nor the hobbit. Did they get back inside? How long was I unconscious? The town was still burning, so I started moving in its direction again. I was closing to the ruins, when I saw the dragon fly high up, stop and then fall down. My jaw dropped. Did Smaug just… die? Really? Someone killed the dragon?!

“Oh my, I really want to meet that person.” I murmured.

I got closer to the ruins, and saw little men heading towards me.

“Anne!” Called Bilbo running my way. “Where have you been, we have been looking for you!” He said, breathing heavily. “I saw you walking towards Dale, and then you disappeared! Have you got any idea how worried I was?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I think I’ve fainted.” I said feeling guilty. I shouldn’t have doubted him.

“Fainted? But…” The hobbit went silent, and then looked at me with curiosity.

“Well, we’re happy to see you’re fine now.” I heard Balin’s voice. “Let’s get back inside. The Dragon is dead, and we have a lot of work to do.”

“Oh, so someone did kill that thing!” I exclaimed. “Amazing!”

“Yes, it is.” Said the dwarf, sounding gloomy.

The dwarves passed by me, heading towards Erebor, which now had a big hole up front.

Me and Bilbo stayed behind. I could see the hobbit had questions which weren’t meant for the ears of the rest of the company.

“How did you do that?” He asked as soon as we were out of an ear range.

“Do what?” I had no idea what he was referring to.

“Disappear.” He answered.

“I disappeared?” I looked at him surprised. “When?”

“I saw you heading towards the city, so I ran after to ask where you were going, but you suddenly vanished.” He explained. “I mean, I know how I do it, but you..? Is it that ring of yours?”

“Um… no… I don’t think so… I don’t know…” I felt confused. What the hell happened?! I thought it was only one of my visions. Was I really flying towards that evil thing? All of me?! Terrifying!

“Well, I don’t know much about magic, but I don’t think that’s good.” Said the hobbit.

“Yeah, me too.” I answered feeling dizzy. Since I came to this world there have been so many unexplained events, that one may think I should be used to them already. But I wasn’t. Oh I SO wasn’t.

We followed the dwarves who entered the mountain already, and I couldn’t help but noticing them staring at us strangely. Did they think we were conspiring against them? From the way Thorin was eyeing me, that’s probably how it was.

There were literally mountains of gold inside. I’ve never seen so many coins in my life. My own treasury looked very small, almost nonexistent in comparison.I remembered my jewellery again and cursed the Elven King. My kingdom was already poor, and I’ve just made it poorer.

The three missing dwarves returned in the morning. I was happy to see Kili was alive and well, since I’ve heard from Bilbo, that he was shot during their escape.

All this time me and the hobbit observed Thorin. Bilbo was worried about his behaviour and I had to admit he was right. The prince was getting more and more obsessed with gold. It looked like his grandfather’s sickness has poisoned also his mind. He didn’t sleep and barely ate.