Chapter 8: Meanwhile...

Marcus’s nerves were in shreds since morning. His good-for-nothing young queen has run away again. There were documents to sign and petitioners to hear. First of her suitors was arriving in the evening and nothing was ready yet. This was the worst time possible for the hide and seek game. What was she thinking? Was she thinking at all?!

“Still can’t find her?”  Came a voice from behind.

“Algernon!” Marcus was very happy to see the captain of the guard. His timing was impeccable as usual. “Indeed, it is dreadful. She has done it again, and now of all times! Prince Rhydian is arriving in a few hours!”

“Let me help you.” Said the knight. “I’ll find that little witch.”
”Algernon!” Exclaimed the advisor. “Do not call her that! Especially not in public! She is our queen!”

“She is an ungrateful brat and deserves a good spanking.” Said the captain. “All that effort and she still shows you no appreciation.”

“She will learn.” Said Marcus, but he could feel his friend’s words were true. The queen behaved like she hated him, although all he was trying to do was to teach her how to rule the kingdom.

“Will she?” There was doubt in knight’s voice.

“She is our queen, this we cannot change. Our task is to help her, support her, not to plan treason.” He turned to the captain. “I know you do not like her, but try to accept her as our ruler.”

“Not while she runs away whenever duties become too boring for her.” Protested Algernon. “She needs to start being responsible, and fast.”

“Either way, now we must find her.” Marcus didn’t want to continue this discussion. He was afraid his friend may say too much and get himself in trouble. After all planning treason was just as severely punished as committing one – by death.

They separated and started combing the garden.

“Your highness!” Called Marcus, approaching the area where the pond was placed. “Please come out!”

Then he heard a splash. He hurried in its direction, but when he came close it became apparent, that the queen wasn’t there.

“It must have been the fish.” He murmured, and went back to searching.

The evening was approaching and there was still no sign of the young monarch. Marcus was becoming more and more worried.

“I have a bad feeling about this.” He said to his friend. “Guards claim she did not leave the castle, but I think she might have.”

“I doubt she could slip away unnoticed in that dress.” Answered Algernon.  “Maybe she’s hiding somewhere.”
”We have already looked everywhere!” The advisor ruffled his curly, black hair. “She might have been kidnapped.” He concluded.

“Who would want to kidnap her?!” Exclaimed the knight.

“Everyone. She IS the queen.” Marcus reminded him. “Kidnap her, force to marry you, and  the kingdom has a new ruler.”

“Her husband would have no power here.” Disagreed the knight. His shoulder-length, red hair stuck up in every direction, and weariness started to show on his handsome face.

“He would, if he could manipulate her.” Said Marcus.  “She is young and inexperienced. A skilled player may easily convince her to do his bidding.”

“I’ve spent a few months with that witch.” Remarked the captain. “That player of yours would get a heart attack, before he could convince her to do anything for him.”