Chapter 18: Troublesome Agreements

Learning how to sit, walk and eat was hell. It helped, that I’ve already been thought it before, and so my education was going well. The elf himself wasn’t bad either: patient, and with pleasant disposition. No comparison to my strict teacher back at home. He was handsome like all of them, and his hair was blond. We were practising in a room that has been specially prepared for it. It had all necessary equipment like furniture and full cutlery.

It turned out that every, even the slightest gesture had meaning for elves. Showing emotions in public was also not the best idea.

Finally, a little overwhelmed by all the rules I asked about marriage customs, and found out things, that really made me nervous.

Marriage was celebrated at a feast of the two houses. That explained why Thranduil was so desperate to make me attend. Also the marriage was only achieved with its consummation. Technically, only the words exchanged by the bride and groom and the consummation are required for the wedding to be valid. We were already a husband and wife because of our bond, which seemed to have different rules, but I had a hunch that the king wanted to uphold tradition. I could feel it when he kissed me. I had to think of how to avoid it.

A little stressed by acquired information I excused myself. I told Calanon – that was my tutor’s name – I was going to prepare myself, but the truth was I needed time to wander about and memorise some more of the palace interior.

I walked around, looking for anything I could use for my advantage, but there wasn’t much. There were eyes everywhere. I seemed that after my escapes Thranduil got almost paranoid.

I was going to turn back, and head towards the dining hall, because the time of dinner was closing in, but then I saw Legolas walking slowly and looking somewhat gloomy.

“Hiril vuin.” He inclined his head and smiled sadly.

“Is something the matter?” I asked worried. The day before he seemed just fine. What could have happened?

“Do not mind me.” He said. “It is nothing.”

“It’s fine if you don’t want to talk about it, but maybe there’s something I can help with?” I asked, thinking of his relations with Tauriel. Elf or not, woman could always understand another woman better than any man.

“You cannot. But I am grateful for your concern.” He replied. “There is nothing that could help me here.”

“Well, then maybe you should look elsewhere?” I said, half joking. “After all this forest is rather dark, not the most effective mood improver. You should visit a lighter place. Like Rivendell.” I suggested, and he looked at me with interest. “I enjoyed my stay there, however brief it was. It is a perfect place to drive away all sadness.”

He looked thoughtful for some time.

“Thank you hiril vuin.” He said finally. “I will think about it.”

“Oh, just call me Anne. I don’t like formalities.” I offered.

“My father wouldn’t be happy to hear that.” The prince smiled.

“Your father is rarely happy to hear what I have to say.” I snorted.

“So I hear.” He grinned and we both giggled for a while.

We started talking about the weather here in Mirkwood, and what could I expect in both autumn and winter. By the time I remembered about dinner it was almost time.

“Oh no!” I exclaimed. “I will be late!”

“Late for what?” Asked the prince.

“Dinner. I promised your father I would be there on time.” I looked around. “Legolas!” I turned to the elf. “Please, do you know any shortcuts? Could you help me get there in time?”