Chapter 24: Bad News

Teasing his wife was a pleasurable experience, and their little quarrels made his blood boil. She was a fire, burning brightly and lightening his long and mostly lonely existence, which slowly devoured every bit of his reason and self-control. He has almost forgotten how it felt to love and lust, and loosing his control today surprised him as much as it scared her. He should have been immune to such urges already. Elves were seldom swayed by the desires of the body only, and he had not felt them for a long time. Neither he remembered them being ever so strong.She made him feel young again, like he was no more than three hundred years old.

He did not care if it was the bond that was responsible for such urges. As the legends stated, the link only strengthened the feelings which had already been there. It was not the cause of his surges of passion, she was. 

Although apparently she was not enjoying his attentions.

The Elvenking was not used to being rejected or denied. Every elvish woman in his kingdom would consider it an honour if he showed any interest in them. However she did not seem to care what he was, and so did not see any privilege in it. And this was the thought he kept in mind while planning his next move.

At a time like this he wished he had more experience winning maiden’s heart. Being who he was, even acquiring his first wife’s affection proved to be no challenge. Furthermore elves did not usually remarry, nor they fell in love more than once in their lives.

Anne has revived and old tree which was destined to sleep till its end. She made it grow again, yet she did not wish to stay with it. It was a truly cruel deed.

***

Instead of a cave, which I expected to see after falling asleep, there was a sea. Its waters were beautiful, and crystal-clear. The welcoming sound of the waves invited me to swim in it. I moved closer, and was going to let my bare foot be washed when suddenly the warm sun disappeared, covered by clouds. I looked at the sea again, and it wasn’t welcoming anymore.  It was dark now, and stormy. The wind started blowing, pushing me, clearly set on forcing me to enter the rough waters. I tried to fight it but was too weak. Soon the waves had me at their mercy, and I was carried away, to some unknown destination.

 *

The forest was dark, and scary, but I wasn’t afraid. Even though everything around was so big and hostile I still walked on. I couldn’t come back, not yet. There was something important in there. Something to find. If only I could remember what it was.

“Not yet.” I heard a girl’s voice, but couldn’t establish where it was coming from. “It is not the time. Go back.” She said, but I didn’t listen. I wanted to find it, whatever it was. Wanted it so, so bad.

Something grabbed me from behind, and I was pulled backwards, out of the mysterious forest, into some rocky place.

*

I recognised the cave and looked around but again – there was no one in sight.

“Where are you?” I asked, and got hit by some small stone. It hurt. “Ouch! Why would you do that?!” I shouted.

“Why? Why?!” I heard rage in the ring’s voice. “Because my bearer is an idiot, that is why!”

“What did I do?” I wanted to know. I felt confused. What could anger her so much?

“You know perfectly well what you have done!” She replied, still furious.