Chapter 32: The Memory

Resin rose in the air slowly, separating us from the rest of Middle-earth. Turning my back on Algernon and Rhydian I looked, for the last time, at my husband. Stunning as always he stood tall among the elves, his posture rigid, face stony and lips pressed together so strongly that only a small line marked their existence. And his eyes... Oh gods. I could not bear it. The guilt was piercing my heart like a dagger. I lied to him. Told him I would come back when I knew I could not. And he knew it. He wasn't seeing me off. He was letting me go. Forever.

I opened my mouth to say something, although I did not know what it would be myself, but it was already too late. The amber substance covered us completely, and for a moment I couldn't breathe. Then it fell down again, and we were no longer at the feet of Lothlorien.

We were greeted by a level of noise so great, that for a moment I thought the castle was under attack. Quickly, however, it turned out it was just our welcoming party. The wizards threw themselves at me like harpies, demanding I told them all the details of my journey at once. My adviser, Marcus, kept lamenting and cheering at the same time, calling out to all the gods he could remember, and some guards tried to report something tomy Guard Captain. After about a minute, which felt like forever to my poor ears, Algernon finally had enough and told everyone to shut up with a roar any lion would be proud of. Barking out orders he instantly took control of everyone in the room, even the wizards who seemed to forget for a moment he was not their superior. He listened to the reports, politely kicked out the old men, even though Grand Wizard tried hard not to go, and ordered Marcus to prepare the courtfor my return. All this time no one seemed to notice Rhydian's poor state or the fact that he was bound like a criminal. After what seemed like a few moments the chamber was empty and we were alone: me, the prince and my Knight Captain.

"And now the tricky part begins." Said Algernon, looking over my ex-fiancée.

"You mean travelling between the worlds wasn't tricky?" I asked automatically, feeling kind of numb. The banter between us felt completely natural after somany months of practice.

"Not when someone else took care of most of it." He replied, seeming equally uninterested in spiting me. "As I said. Now the difficult part begins. Let's hope you haven't lost your edge between the King's sheets."

"Jealous, are we?" I retorted thinking of all the beautiful elven women Algernon would have to be blind not to notice. I'd never seen him indulge himself on any occasion and doubted that one was different.

"Hardly." His tone was level and unemotional. "And now, if you're done being childish, it's time to get to work."

"Childish?" I asked following him, as he strode towards the door. "How am I be-" And then the world began to spin before my eyes.

I woke up on the floor, with deathly pale Algernon above me, repeating my name and slapping my cheeks. Seeing I was awake he scooped me up and marched through the corridors, giving orders on the way. I heard something about the medic being summoned, and notifying Marcus, but most words slipped away from my still only half-conscious mind. I felt like some kind of fog enveloped me, tuning out all sounds and feelings. And then everything went dark.

***

I was in the forest again.I recognized it immediately despite of the fact it was much brighter this time, and I could see no signs of spiders anywhere. Mirkwood. My heart should have been racing, but oddly I felt completely calm and indifferent. More like an observer, not participant.

Before I could properly look around and even start thinking about what to do, I heard rustling in the bushes. Moments after a girl appeared, looking as confused as I knew I should have been. Her hair, I noted, was just like mine – strawberry blonde, and she looked to be about five or six years old. I wanted to ask her who she was and what she was doing here, but the next thing she did made me swallow my words. Clearly looking for the right direction to follow she glanced my way and then – looked straight through me.