Chapter 5: The King

Gandalf rushed back few moments later, mumbling something about going somewhere. He shouted to the dwarves to saddle his horse again and started getting ready to leave. Bilbo ran after him, and I followed.

“You’re not leaving us?” the hobbit asked.

“I would not do this unless I had to.” Answered the wizard.

“Oh, you are joking!” I exclaimed feeling angry. “There are monsters out there, and you’re going to leave us for them to kill?!”

He looked at me slightly annoyed.

“The dwarves are skilled warriors, I’m sure they can manage…”

“Skilled warriors my ass!” I shouted. “There are spiders twice their size! We’re going to get munched like muffins!”

“Anne.” Said the wizard in a calm voice. “I would not leave you if I had a choice. Yet I do not. If you are so concerned about this forest’s threats, why don’t you  make sure you omit all of their traps and nets?”

“Oh yeah, leave it all to me.” I snorted. “Because I know so much about this world’s creatures.”

Knowing I’ve lost this battle, I turned back and took a few steps towards the forest.

“I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.” Called Gandalf, ignoring my outburst. “This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray.”

“Lead us astray? What does that mean?” asked Bilbo.

“Deceive. Make us lose the way.” I answered, turning to the hobbit.

“You must stay on the path; do not leave it. If you do, you will never find it again.” Warned the wizard, riding away. “No matter what may come, stay on the path!”

“Come on. We must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durin’s Day.” Said Thorin.

And we entered.

At the beginning the path was clear, and we had no trouble following it. But the deeper we went into the forest, the more difficult it became. Finally we took the wrong turn.

The air suffocated me, made my head spin, and by the time I’ve noticed the path was gone, I couldn’t see it anymore. I panicked.

“Guys! Guys, wait!” I called to them. “We’re lost!”

“No, we’re not.” Answered Thorin, who was leading us. “Path’s ahead.”

“No it isn’t.” I insisted. “We must go back.”

“Don’t worry lass.” One of the dwarves turned my way. “He knows where he’s going.”

“Like hell he does.” I got angry. “I’m telling you…”

Suddenly everyone stopped.

“The path...it’s disappeared!” Said Nori. I looked ahead and saw a big gap between two parts of the forest.

“What’s going on?” Asked Dwalin.

“We’ve lost the path!” Answered Oin.

“Told you.” I murmured.

“Find it. All of you look. Look for the path!” Shouted Thorin and everyone started looking around.  Call me a pessimist, but I didn’t think we would be able to get back at it.