Chapter 4: On A Way To Mirkwood

We landed on some rock and the birds flew away. The dwarves surrounded Thorin, looking worried. Gandalf murmured some spell and the dwarven prince woke up. He asked about the hobbit.

“It’s all right. Bilbo is here. He’s quite safe.” Said the wizard.

Dwalin and Kili – I’ve finally remembered their names - helped Thorin up. Once he was up, he shrugged them off and approached Bilbo.

“You!” He shouted. “ What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?”

He advanced until he was face to face with Bilbo, who looked worried and frightened.

“I’ve never been so wrong in all my life!” He said and hugged the hobbit. “I am sorry I doubted you.”

“No, I would have doubted me too. I’m not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar.” Said Bilbo, clearly touched by Thorin’s words.

Thorin didn’t answer. He was already looking beyond him, seeing something. He strode forward, and we all  followed his gaze. I saw a solitary mountain in the distance, and recognized it as the one from Bilbo’s story.

“Is that what I think it is?” Asked the hobbit.

“Erebor—The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-earth.” Gandalf spoke.

“Our home.” Added the dwarven prince.

While everyone was admiring the solitary peak, I moved closer to the wizard. I was going to get some answers.

“Hello.” I said. “Remember me?”

Gandalf looked down at me and smiled.

“Anne! I was hoping you would find your way to us. I’m glad to see I was right.”

“Is that why you stood me up? To test me?” I started feeling angry.

“Oh, that.” He said, sounding a little embarrassed. “I just could not afford to wait for you any longer. “

“And how long exactly did you wait?” I asked.

“Well… until evening.” He answered, and I looked at him surprised.

“Impossible.” I said. “I was there not long after noon.”
”Really?” The wizard looked surprised. “That is strange… I did not see you. Are you sure you were waiting in the right place?”

“Quite sure.” I thought for a moment. “Are you sure, you were?”

“Absolutely.” He answered.

Oh well, I thought, maybe I did lose my way.

“And how did you find us?” Gandalf asked. I noticed all the dwarves were also listening to our conversation. Oh, that was going to be interesting.

“There was an underground stream and I followed it.” I answered. “You and Elrond were wrong, you now. I could easily fly through the mountains, just not above them.”

“Fly?” Asked one of the dwarves. “What do you mean, fly?”

“You see master Gloin…” The wizard spoke. “Our new companion here has a special ability. She can fly above water.”

“She’s a witch then!” Called some other man, and everyone started talking. Somehow they didn’t seem happy to have a magic wielder helping them. I thought it weird, since they seemed to not only tolerate but also respect Gandalf.