Chapter 27: The Ceremony

Walking inside an unusual and kind of underground palace Algernon felt strange. It was just like he was chasing through that cave labyrinth again searching for this stupid little witch. The worry from that time returned to him like an echo. She knew nothing about magical traps and curses that protected the artefact. She could die if the ring rejected her. He shivered. Oh well, this was exactly what he was doing now, wasn't it? Looking for her again. Honestly, what was wrong with the girl?! Couldn't she sit still for a minute?
From what Galadriel had told them, Anne was now living here, in this dreadful forest. Why, she couldn't or didn't want to say. Strange creatures were those elves, but he had found their company pleasant. So did Rhydian, who apparently really enjoyed looking at the females. Algernon snorted remembering the prince's puppy eyes following the one called Arwen. They told him the girl was Galadriel's granddaughter - although Lady of Lorien looked no more than twenty years old - and both women found Rhydian's behaviour amusing. The knight shook his head. Despite being angry with his queen, he felt sorry about forcing such a fiancée on her, and was planning to help her get rid of him if she wished it. Besides, he didn't like the prince, and the thought of him being his king annoyed the guard captain.
Anne might have been undereducated, but she was learning quickly. She was also reckless and easily bored, however, considering her upbringing it could have been worse. Her behaviour was as far from responsible as the stars from the earth, but she was bright, intelligent and he hoped she would grow up some day.
However the prince... he was beyond hope, and in no way possible to correct. And so, not fit to be his master.
As they entered the great hall the knight, before searching the crowd for his loss, looked at the ruler of this place, who was supposed to be a great warrior king, and stopped dead in his tracks seeing who stood beside him.
He recognised her immediately, although he couldn't say how was it possible since she was so much changed. Hell, he didn't even realise she could look this good. Algernon's heart rose and sunk. Yes, that was his queen standing there. Beautiful just like she should have always been. He wasn't sure what they did to her, but he would have to take a recipe... or kidnap a few elven maidens if necessary.
But... Why was she standing there, and not with the crowd? What was going on? What was the party for again? Wasn't this a wedding ceremony? Of the king and... oh wait a second, just WHO was the BRIDE?!

Rhydan was almost jumping with excitement. Finally! He was just a few steps away from his future wife! Now all they had to do was to find her among all the guests and bring her home. Piece of cake. It was a shame that the lovely elvish girl wouldn't come with them. She was such a beauty. But well, maybe it was for the best. It would be too distracting, and he had to focus on Anne now. He was sure that she was going to be happy to see him, but still, it would be only proper to court her after announcing he was her future husband.
As they entered the great hall, he looked around, admiring everything. The Elves sure knew how to build. Then he turned to the knight to check if he was also taken by the view, and saw that Algernon was standing still, looking at something, his face pale like he had just seen a ghost. The prince gazed in the same direction and also stopped moving.
Oh dear gods, she was there! So beautifull in that shiny, silvery-white dress. Standing just next to who he thought was the Elvenking Thran-something. He hadn't realised she was that pretty. He considered her looks average before. It was her personality that caught his attention. Now he new she was going to make a lovely wife. His wife.
And great, they found her already! That was quick. But... why was the captain of the guard behaving so strangely? Was something wrong?

***

Algernon's expression was so eloquent, that I felt an urge to run and hide. Oh gods, he realised! He knew what I had done! I was dead. I was so, so dead.
And who was that man next to him? He looked familiar... Rhydian?! What was HE doing here? Wasn't he royal or something? The first time we met he had such an expensive clothes on, I was sure he was at least noble. He pretended to be just a soldier of course, but come on. I'm not blind. And now he was here with the captain of my guard. A feeling of something bad approaching overwhelmed me. I wasn't sure what was going to happen yet, but something told me I wasn't going to like it.
Thranduil, sensing my distress, took my hand and placed it on top of his. It was to reassure me, but one look at the two men made me shiver even more. The knight's fury was rising, and Rhydian had apparently just realised what was this party all about. The shock made his face look comical, but I was far from laughing, focused on the slowly approaching captain of my guard.
But this was nothing yet.
Not short after, the Elvenking started speaking. He welcomed all the guests and introduced me as his wife.
And this was when it all began.
"I object!" Shouted Rhydian, coming at us rapidly. "Her Highness Anne, The Queen of Emeria has been betrothed to me! I am her rightful husband and king!"
The silence that fell after that statement was heavy and thick. Everyone was shocked, including me. He was WHAT?! And just when, WHEN had I agreed to such thing?! I looked at Algernon for an explanation, but he was suddenly being shy, so I turned my eyes to Thranduil and... oh hell!
Only now I realised the full extent of prince's words. He had called me a queen. And not Thranduil's queen, but the queen. The ruler of her own country. Oh dear.
The Elvenking was furious, I could tell. His face hardened, eyes became even more piercing than before. This was the kind of his scary look that I hated. And, of course, he was looking at me, apparently waiting for denial or confirmation of Rhydian's claim. Not only him actually. Everyone was staring at me, clearly curious. Only Galadriel didn't seem surprised. The cunning witch had probably known about it for a while. After all it was her who had brought them here.
And just what was I supposed to say? If I confirmed it - which would mean lying, since it was the first time I've heard about it - this would be a disaster. I was already married after all. They would have to duel or something and , let's be honest, Rhydian stood no chance. If I denied it, he would probably be thrown into prison, which wouldn't be good either. I didn't know what had happened when I was gone, bud someone clearly accepted his proposal for me. Denying it now meant war.
Either way this situation sucked.
But before I could decide how to react to his previous statement, the prince added a new one.
"Since I haven't had a chance to do it officially yet, let me ask you now. Your Royal Highness Queen Anne of Emeria, would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?"
What? He was proposing? NOW?! Seriously?!
What happened next was very quick. Thranduil drew his sword and pointed it at Rhydian, who had almost lost his head in the process. Literally. I didn't know where did the king get the weapon from, since I hadn't noticed him having one.
It looked like the Elvenkings patience had ended with that statement. Some other man asking his wife's hand at the ceremony was more that he could withstand. And with all the hell I put him through recently I couldn't blame him really. It was a miracle he remained calm for so long.
Instead of backing away, the prince tried to draw his own weapon, and I panicked. Oh no, no, no, no, no! This was not going to turn into a murder scene!
I rushed forward, and ended up standing between them. Shielding Rhydian with my own body wasn't the purpose, but it sure looked that way. But I only realised it when the king's eyes narrowed. Damn. I could do nothing well today.
"My Lord, lower your sword, please." I pleaded, too desperate to think about hurting anybody's feelings. I wasn't going to let anyone die today. I didn't truly believe that Thranduil could actually murder Rhydian in cold blood here, where the eyes of whole kingdom was upon him. The prince, however, could force the fight, and then he would be killed all the same. Right now, officially at least, the Elvenking was only defending his wife. Jaleousy or not, control or not, this was an insult to him, and he had every right to threaten my so-called fiancée. But only threaten, nothing more. Not without consequences.
"Should I?" He asked, his voice stern. "Is there a reason for it?"
He was obviously asking about my feelings for Rhydian. Wonderful. And I was sure Algernon expected me to be diplomatic. Riiight.
"Well..." I really didn't know what to say, so I went with the most practical reason that came to my mind. "Your skills outmatch his greatly. It wouldn't be fair. After all it's not a duel if id doesn't last for even a second."
An outraged huff at my back told me that the prince had different opinion about the matter, but I ignored him. The king's mood was most important to me right now, and he was still in a mood to kill.
"There shall be no duel." His Highness informed me. I swallowed. Oh great. Just what I wanted to hear. This was a disaster.
What to say, what to say? I was sure that 'Don't kill him, I want some answers. And I really can't fight wars right now, I have no real army you see.' wasn't going to cut it.
"I am certain this is just a misunderstanding." I heard Elrond's voice as he approached us. "Let the boy explain himself."
"Yes, it is a misunderstanding." Said Rhydian. "He mistook my fiancée for his own!"
"I'm his wife actually." I corrected him. I wanted him to end this fiancée talk. It was only making the situation worse.
"You haven't." I heard Algernon's quiet voice. He was standing a few steps from the prince, covering his eyes with his hand. I knew that gesture. It meant he was very, very unhappy with what he had just heard. And I also knew what usually came after.
"Long story." I sighed. Yup, I was going to get murdered by my own guard captain.
"But... But how?!" Asked Rhydian, who had just overcame another shock. "What is the ceremony for then?"
"Sort of formal introduction." I explained, still keeping one eye on the king. He was listening to us with a kind of predatory expression on his face.
"Then it means that you... that I... we..." The prince seemed unable to comprehend what he had just been informed of.
"Pretty much." I nodded. "I can't marry you, obviously."
Hearing that, Thranduil finally put down his weapon. It looked like he has been, all this time, waiting for my answer, my decision. And if I continued saying nothing, Rhydian would probably die. One way or another. It didn't mean the Elvenking would agree with what I decided, of course, but he wanted to hear in all the same. It was sort of comforting that my opinion mattered at least a little and this realisation almost made me smile. I didn't. I knew he was still angry, and a lot of this emotion was pointed at me now. I couldn't blame him though. He had just found out how much he didn't know about me, how much I didn't tell. It must have hurt. I couldn't bring myself to check on his feeling. I was too scared of what I would find.
When Rhydian also stepped back I thought the worst part was over, and now we could talk peacefully. I was wrong.
"You shall leave this place immediately, never to return." Spoke the Elvenking, looking at my self-proclaimed husband-to-be. "You are not welcome here."
The prince appeared shocked and disbelieving. He was clearly surprised that after all that he had said and done he was being thrown out of Mirkwood. But just after a moment his gaze hardened, and a dangerous gleam appeared in his eyes. I knew that look, have seen it already, and realised it meant trouble. Whatever idea just came to his mind, the king wasn't going to like it. Neither was I.
"Your marriage is invalid in our world, Elvenking." He spoke with a slight smirk on his face. "But do not fret. She will forget you quickly enough in my arms."
Thranduil moved forward, reaching for his blade, but Elrond stopped him, placing a hand on his arm.
"Honestly, do you WANT to die?!" I hissed at Rhydian, feeling offended with what he'd just implied. How dared he speak of me like I wasn't there! "Because if so, I'll be happy to help!"
He looked at me with surprise in his eyes. What? He thought I would be glad to hear his words? Well then, surprise! I wasn't!
Also Thranduil's gaze went to me, studying, assessing. He was probably making sure that I meant what I'd just said. I didn't avert my eyes. Yes, I meant it. Yes, I didn't love the prince. And yes, I knew we had many more things to discuss, but this wasn't going to be one of them.
"So be it. If that is what you desire, you shall rot in my dungeon." Said the king, apparently satisfied with my behaviour. He gestured to his guards to take the prince away. He clearly wanted to do and say something else, like 'execute that man', but restrained himself.
I closed my eyes in both anguish and relief. Well, wasn't this nice? My very first, finally proper wedding ceremony, and it was turning into a disaster. Just my luck. But hey, at least it would be famous. This party was certainly going to be talked about for a long, long time. Like a few hundred years. Or even a few thousand. Those were elves after all.
"Your Highness, if I may..." Algernon approached my husband. It was clear he wanted to save the prince from the tour around Thranduil's dungeon.
"Who are you?" The question sounded more like an order.
"I am Algernon Rowanweb, captain of Her Majesty Queen Anne's guard. I have come here with His Highness, Prince Rhydian of Algesia." As the Elvenking didn't say anything, the knight continued. "We were unaware of Her Majesty's present... situation. Prince Rhydian got a little... carried away due to the shock. Please forgive him. I am certain he did not mean any offence towards you or the queen."
"And what would you have me do?" Asked Thranduil. He was looking at the captain with slight interest, which I took as a good sign. After all my not-so-favourite ex-companion has always been good at convincing others to do his bidding. Except me that is. Which was mostly the reason for our quarrels and mutual dislike.
"If you would allow us to speak with Her Highness privately, I am certain we could..."
"No." The king's answer was short and final.
I looked at him surprised. Why? I still had right to privet conversations. I wasn't a prisoner, was I?
"But..." I started.
The Elvenking closed the distance between us within a second.
"There have been enough secrets and lies. No more." He snarled. Standing beside him I felt really small and helpless. And afraid again. Just like before, the moment we met.
"Show the prince to a guest-chamber. He has travelled a long way. He needs rest." The king said to the guards that were holding Rhydian. "And you," He turned to Algernon. "May wish to make sure His Highness has a good and long sleep."
The knight bowed his head understanding the hint, looked at me briefly and went after the elves who were already carrying out their monarch's order. The prince didn't protest, which I was very happy about.
Before I had time to think what to do next, Thranduil took my hand, placed it on top of his, pressed it with the other one and forcefully led me back to the podium where we were standing before. Then he took up his speech where he left it, like nothing had happened, and invited the guests to dance and feast in the honour of him and his bride - me.
To my surprise everyone seemed to be ok with it, and not disturbed at all.

The party went on. Guests looked like they were having fun while eating and dancing to the music. Contrary to me. I felt uneasy. The king seemed relaxed again. He talked, and smiled. But I wasn't deceived. His grip on my hand was tight and strong. I could not leave his side, let alone slip away.
Normally I would make some mean comments about his behaviour, but this time I knew better. He had already been pushed far today, and the conversation awaiting us wasn't going to be a pleasant one. So instead, I decided to try and lift his mood a little. An act of self-defence you may say.
When the music changed, and they played the only melody I could dance to, I turned to my husband and asked:
"Would you care for a dance My Lord?"
He looked at me, stunned. Yes, yes, I knew that it's not me who should be doing the asking. It was the men's stuff, I understood that. But so what? He didn't, and this was literally the only thing I could dance to. I couldn't risk that he would choose the time when they played something unknown and difficult.
Fortunately, he didn't hesitate for long. Just a moment later we were standing in the middle of the crowd of couples, my hand in his and our bodies definitely not far enough to dance properly.
Aren't we too close? I asked while trying to move gracefully. I wasn't sure if I was doing everything right, I couldn't see myself since there weren't any mirrors.
Do you fear someone may disapprove? He replied, and I knew he meant our unexpected guests. I sighed silently. I wasn't going to let him go there. Not yet.
No, I am worried about my dancing abilities, which are poor enough as it is. I don't need more mistakes than I'm already making. I explained.
Does my presence disturb you? He asked, and an alarm sounded in my head. I was right. His good mood was only pretended.
Well, it certainly doesn't help me concentrate. Especially when I remember our lesson from two days ago. The memory of that made me blush, and I couldn't look him in the eye anymore. When I finally dared to gaze in his direction again, he had that familiar self-satisfied smirk on his face. Relieved, that his mood was improving I decided to simply enjoy the rest of our dance. Despite of all that had happened it was pleasant to let him lead me through the dance floor, look him in the eye and touch him. Especially when our hands accidentally went too far or too low. I almost forgot what awaited ahead.
After the music had finally changed, Thranduil led me aside.
Shall we retire? He asked in neutral tones, but I felt his tension rising. As did my. I believe we have a few things to discuss.
Ah yes, that. I really hoped it wouldn't come so soon. But well, maybe it was for the best. It wouldn't be fair to leave him hanging. Although I did have an urge to just run away and hide somewhere.
As you wish My Lord. I replied instead, and after a short goodbye we left our guests to continue having fun.

The king's chambers wasn't my ideal destination, but that was where he led me. Probably the reason was to avoid suspicion that something was wrong between us. Although... considering what had happened during the ceremony no one probably believed we were all happy.
After locking us inside - and yes, he used a key to do that - the king went to a small table, and poured us some wine, gesturing me to sit. I knew I couldn't keep still, and he wasn't sitting down either, so I just stood there, waiting, watching him turn his back to me.
"Her Royal Highness Queen of Emeria." He finally said, and I wiggled uncomfortably hearing my title. "When were you planning to inform me of this... detail?"
Never, if possible. But I couldn't say that.
"I was waiting for the right moment." I answered evasively.
"And what would you describe as the right moment?" He inquired. I bit my lips. What did he expect me to say? There was no right moment for such news.
"You have been lying to me, deceiving me from the moment you entered my halls." He continued. "While I had given you home and protection. I had even given you..." He paused. "Never had I caused you harm, why do you insist on distrusting me? Am I not worthy to hear the truth from the lips of my own wife?"
Okay, now I felt really guilty. He was right, of course he was right. But I had my reasons as well, and since he had asked, he was going to hear them.
"Let me remind you, My Lord, of how we met." I started, my tone purposely hard. "When I first came here you threw me into a cell and stole my jewellery. Then you locked me again in some room, changing one prison for the other, more comfortable one. All the time I was treated like a criminal, although my only crime was entering your forest. Not to mention what you did to my companions. I had to run away see them again. When I saw you again, you refused to let me go once more, not explaining anything. I felt like a slave, a thing with no free will and no freedom left. And if you haven't realised yet, this didn't exactly inspire trust. Then you brought me back here, announced that I was now your wife and imprisoned me in your palace one more time. Not once have you cared what I waned, what I felt. And despite all that I returned to you after defeating The Hollow Ones, although I could go wherever I wanted. So, hearing all this, can you really blame me for not being completely open and honest with you?"
He was silent for a long time, probably digesting what I had said. I started to fear that I've gone too far. But then, finally, he spoke again.
"Do the dwarves know?" His voice appeared calm and indifferent, and it was even more disturbing.
"No, they don't."
"And who does?" He still held a full chalice in his hand, not drinking a single drop.
"Elrond..." I swallowed, seeing him twitch at the sound of Lord of Rivendell's name. "His home was the first place I visited in this world." I explained, as the Elvenking remained quiet. "And Gandalf... I met him there too. And Galadriel. They asked her to help me return home, but she couldn't." As I continued with the names, king's grip on the goblet grew stronger. "And Bilbo. He overheard our conversation. Oh, and Lindir. He was present then too."
"Anyone else?" Thranduil's tone was slightly mocking, but I knew better.
"I don't think so..." I thought for a moment, but no one came to my mind.
He went silent again, for a longer while. I didn't know what to say or do not to make this whole situation worse, so I just stood there and kept quiet.
"That kingdom of yours. I have never heard about it. Where is it?" He finally asked.
I took a deep, deep breath. Yup, that was another topic I wished never to discuss with him.
"In another world. And I don't mean across the sea or anything."
That froze him once more, but instead of lost in thought, he appeared shaken. It was difficult to tell though, just looking at his back. My suspicion was based rather on a small echo I felt coming from our bond.
"What has brought you here?" He still didn't show any sign of deeper emotion.
"A portal. My ring transported me here. It wanted me to perform some task..." I paused, not wanting to fully explain that part. "I landed just outside Elrond's home."
"You must see me as a fool." He whispered quietly, like he was talking to himself. "Not for a moment have I suspected..."
I took a step forward. No, I couldn't let him to feel like this. Honestly, it was not his fault that he had no clue. After all my own subjects didn't see anything queen-like in me. I didn't even try to behave properly. And my manner of speaking... Gods, how many lectures had I heard about that. Maybe... maybe it was time to finally be honest. To let him know the whole story. "No, I cannot blame you, really." I disagreed. "You see, I was never a princess. Not even a noble as a matter of fact. And I didn't exactly plan to be a queen either. It all started a few months ago, the night when my home burned down during the storm..." And there I started my tale. I spoke about the adventure, searching for the artefact, putting it on, and finding out about the prophecy. Then I described my life as a ruler and the kingdom's political situation. I ended my tale with falling into the pond, and my suspicions about Algernon's and Rhydian's reasons for being here. Thranduil hadn't interrupted me once, focused on every word that left my mouth. I couldn't tell what he was thinking.
"So," I said as finishing sentences. "Marcus has probably sent my guard captain to drag me back home. As for the prince, I think he was the first suitor to come after I disappeared. They must have come up with some kind of agreement."
"Captain of the guard, yes..." He paused. "Is this the same captain that, as you informed me once, tends to visit your bedchamber?" He inquired, sounding neutral.
"It is him." I admitted.
The silver goblet cracked under the king's fingers, letting the wine spill onto the floor.
"I see." The words sounded more like hissing.
"But he only came to shout at me!" I explained quickly, suddenly understanding how it must have sounded for him back then. I was actually surprised that he still remembered my blabbering from back then, let alone was still jealous of it. "Or to wake me up, which usually involved shouting anyway. There's nothing intimate going on between us!"
"Indeed?" He finally looked my way, with no expression on his face.
"Yes, definitely." I nodded. "I dislike him, he dislikes me back. That's actually the only thing we've ever agreed on."
"Your own guard captain dislikes you?" He appeared to be mocking me. But hey, at least it was an emotion. I wasn't picky at that point.
"We have history. We've annoyed each other from the moment we've met." I shrugged.
"And yet he came all this way for you." The Elvenking moved closer, his eyes locked with mine.
"He's loyal to the crown. And I'm pretty sure Marcus forced him." I replied, trying to understand what the king's intentions were. For now his behaviour was both threatening and flirtatious, and I couldn't decide if I should run away or anticipate his further actions. "It's not like they love me so much, that's all about the prophecy."
"Is that so." He stopped just a few inches away from me. "Tell me then, My Queen," He emphasised the last word. "Will you let your knight take you back to your kingdom to be wed once more?"
I blushed. Yes, well... it certainly seemed like I was going to have two husbands. This would be difficult to avoid.
"No more weddings!" I announced in an attempt to lift the mood a little, while looking him in the eye with challenge and, for a moment, feeling mischievous again. "One annoying Elvenking for a husband is quite enough, thank you very much."
"Annoying?" He asked sternly, like I had just insulted him. But a slight smirk appeared on his face.
"I'm afraid so." I replied gravely, like it was some terrible secret to share, but with a hint of humour. "By the way..." I asked, after a moment of silence. "Why did you lock the door?"
His smirk widened, as if I had just told some fine joke. And then he kissed me. Quick, hard, almost desperately.