Broken Promises

As soon as the ceremony finished and the rest of the school was cleared out, McGonagall had called silence over the eight years and announced a surprise party in the great hall that would commence in an hour.

She dismissed them all to go get ready and Harry, surrounded by a large group of cheering Gryffindors, hurried off back to the dorms.

He was sure he heard Draco call his name once or twice and he was aware of Hermione's concerned looks but he just brushed them off and laughed louder than the others at a joke he hadn't heard.

Luckily the boisterous distractions continued in the common room when Dean popped open a glass of celebratory, muggle champagne, the cork sent flying out the window.

Harry chugged down a glass or two while getting changed into a simple, white t-shirt and baggy jeans, since he wasn't too keen on drawing attraction to himself at the moment.

Eventually the group of Gryffindor boys decided to head back down, and Harry, who was slightly tipsy, followed along.

The hall was warmer than before and he glad that he wasn't wearing his graduation robes. The windows had been swung open and flowers where bundled along the walls. Vines hung from the roof, glistening in the setting glow of the sun.

Tables stood against the walls decorated with flower wreaths and champagne glasses of non-alcoholic punch, (since the party had to be school appropriate, although no teachers took a second glance at the metal flasks poking out of pockets.)

There was a strong scent of summer in the air, citrus and frangipanis and the futile humming of bees that danced between bouquets of flowers.

Bowie's voice was swaying through the room and Harry concluded that Sirius must be in control of the music.

Students in the centre of the floor were singing at the top of their lungs, jumping around like mad-men, and he quickly pushed his way to the middle, surrounding himself with the sweet, blissful breath of intoxication.

He danced for ages, taking swigs from metal flasks offered by students he had barely spoken to.

It was only when the sun was just barely shining, the orange light having faded to dusky blue and the songs had slowed, letting couples take over the dance floor, that he moved away.

Quickly he found Pansy laughing with Hermione and after checking that Draco was nowhere near them he headed over.

Pansy offered him the flask and he took a thirsty gulp, letting the burning scent of alcohol sweep down his throat.

"How's the dancing Potter," Pansy snickered.

Harry chuckled and shook his head, "Wonderful, if you must know, think I might join broadway after school."

Pansy frowned, "Broadway?" she asked.

"Muggle musical theatre thing," Hermione answered quickly, "used to go with my parents all the time when I was younger."

Harry let the two girls talk and took another long swig from the flask.

It was then that he caught a glimpse of a certain blonde approaching from his left and he turned, his stomach clenched into a knot as his eyes locked with Draco's who looked slightly upset.

Although it was another voice that pulled his attention away, "Mr Potter I do hope that there is not alcohol in that flask," Professor McGonagall, interrupted and Harry jumped in surprise, beginning to cough profusely as he chocked on his own breath.