Blonde Nightmares

Harry bolted upright in bed, his hair damp with sweat. He shoved his glasses onto his nose and squinted through the dark at the sleeping boys.

The others had returned after dinner to find Harry still asleep, curled up in his blankets, shivering and muttering to himself.

He swung his legs over and stood up, moving towards the common room. His socked feet gliding across the wooden floor.

The common room was empty, stray blankets lay trampled on the floor and dying candles flickered eerily.

His eyes glanced towards the clock on the wall, the hands beating lazily. It looked to be nearing midnight, which was strange given the common room was usually full until sometime close to one.

Harry walked over to the window and leant against it, staring out at the trees that sprawled for miles. He wondered what secrets they held.

He held the sleeve of his Gryffindor sweater in his left hand, keeping it down over his wrist. The dementor inside him stirred, breathing its cold breath down his stomach, freezing him from the inside out. It squeezed his heart and grappled for his throat, clawing at the tender skin.

Harry shuddered and gasped, rubbing his arms even as he stood by the warm fire.

He left the window and moved closer to the portrait. His toes itched to move, to run.

He pushed through the portrait and stepped out into the dark corridors. His feet were silent against the wooden floors and he tripped on his too long trackies multiple times as he walked. He jumped over trick steps and avoided the moonlight that pierced through the window in a pitiful attempt to expose him.

He found himself finally at a stop near the fourth floor. He leant against the wall and rubbed his eyes.

His vision blurred as he blinked away sleep and made a rash decision to go find Sirius.

He moved stealthfully through the school again, he suspected that his godparents would be asleep but even the thought of sneaking in, grabbing a bar of chocolate and snuggling up by the fire slowed the groggy darkness from spreading.

He hurried faster, craving the chocolaty bliss, the bubble wrap of familiar smells.

He reached the door labeled Lupin-Black and knocked. Deep down he knew the password but his fingers tingled with hope that maybe they would be awake.

He waited in the dark, eyes glancing nervously for Filch.

Suddenly the lock clicked and the door was pulled open. Harry stumbled back slightly in shock, having been about to give the password.

Remus looked at him, his eyes flooding with relief, "Harry," he smiled dragging the small boy inside and closing the door.

"It's not as bad as it looks," Sirius began walking over but he stopped when he saw Harry and scratched his eyebrow awkwardly.

"Harry, well that was unexpected,"

Harry glanced at him, curiosity flashing over his face as he studied the two adults. Sirius standing awkwardly, his shoulders hunched, eyes averted down and Remus glaring at him, with a look that would make even Dumbledore shut up.

Harry pushed away the floating feeling of unease and changed the subject, "Sorry to wake you,"

Remus jumped from his trance, "Oh don't worry, we weren't asleep," he glanced at Sirius, "Anyway, would you like some hot chocolate, go sit down,"

Harry took a seat on the couch by the fire and Sirius followed, bundling them both up in a blanket, "What's up,"

Harry shrugged, "Couldn't sleep,"