19. The Only One

"Dad--- Mr. Kim", Jungkook quickly corrects himself, coughing a little to hide his slip up. He stands up on his feet, brushing his hands on his clothes to clean out the dust that must've inevitably set in.

"Fancy seeing you here, Jeon", Sejin says sarcastically. Jungkook smiles awkwardly. "Uh... This is my shop?", he says but it sounds more like a question. If Sejin is surprised, it doesn't show on his face. Then again, he's always been a pro at acting indifferent.

"Can't say I'm surprised. A little disappointed maybe that you chose to do the one thing my son had been begging you to do since the very start of your fights", Sejin says calmly. Then, he sighs.

"I'm happy you're doing good, Jungkook", he finally says, dropping the act. Jungkook is taken aback by that. Sure, he had known how good of a man Namjoon's dad was but he didn't know he could be this forgiving, more than his own son.

"You know, Jungkook, when Namjoon first introduced me and my distant family members to you, they were not happy about his choice. Something about you being an orphan. But you know that better than me", Sejin says pointedly.

Jungkook swallows a thick lump forming in his throat and nods. He does know that. Namjoon's distant relatives judged him a lot. For being an orphan, for not having a stable job, for trying to pursue a career in music and whatever the hell not.

"I do", he replies, voice thick with emotions and painful memories. Sejin stays silent before he starts skimming through the multiple designer dress shirts hanging from the racks. Jungkook follows him without a word.

"I never listened to them, though. I always treated you as my own son. They told me it wasn't good but I shot each one of their arguments down. Because, Jungkook, I really thought you were the one for my Namjoon. I thought we could never go wrong with you", Sejin continues, his voice wavers a little.

Jungkook's eyes start getting watery. He knows that. He knows all of it.

"Abeoji", Jungkook smiles at his husband's father. The man sighs dramatically and plops himself on the couch. "Jungkook, call me Appa. How many times do I have to tell you that?", he asks.

Jungkook bites his lower lip, a little hesitant, a little unsure, uncertain. "I've never known my parents. I guess I'm just... I'm just afraid to get too attached to you. You're now my father, Abeoji. I don't wanna lose you", he confesses.

Sejin chuckles softly and gets up from the couch, coming towards Jungkook and turning the flame off before taking Jungkook's hands in his. "You said it yourself that I'm your father now. You have nothing to be afraid of", he assures.

Jungkook still looks uncertain. "Okay, how about this? Joon calls me Appa so you can call me Dad. And trust me when I say this, you're the only person who'll ever get to call me Dad. Okay?", Sejin suggests with a little smile.

Jungkook returns his grin. "Okay, Dad".

"What's going on here?", Namjoon asks loudly as he sets the grocery bags on the kitchen counter, eyeing them both curiously.

Sejin wraps an arm around Jungkook's shoulders and shrugs. Jungkook grins cheekily.

"It's between me and my dad. Stop prying".

"Namjoon's getting married again, you know?", Sejin says suddenly, changing the topic. "Oh, I wasn't aware", Jungkook whispers. He doesn't think he has the right to be shocked or even heartbroken. His ex has a right to be happy.

"His name is Seokjin. He's a handsome man, Jungkook. You'll know once you see him. He looks like he loves Namjoon a lot and is capable of keeping him happy", Sejin provides unhelpfully, pouring salt on his wound.

"That's.. That's good for him then", Jungkook stutters out, out of words. He doesn't know what Sejin is trying to get him to say. Whatever it is, he doesn't think he has the power to say it.

"Namjoon still loves you. Only you", Sejin says, finally turning to look at Jungkook in the eyes, leaving him speechless. "He's marrying someone else", Jungkook whispers as a matter of fact.

"But his heart belongs to you. Seokjin can love him but only you can make him feel loved. Seokjin can keep him happy but only you can keep him contented, Jungkook. And I know for a fact, you know that as well as I do", Sejin says softly.

"We divorced years ago", Jungkook tries to argue but it just comes out as a weak sob. "Because he thinks you cheated on him. Which I know for a fact that you didn't. You loved--- love him too much for that. I know you must've had your reasons for doing what you did, Jungkook. I won't ask you about them".

Jungkook stares at him in shock, tears now steadily steaming down his plush cheeks. Sejin sighs sadly. "I don't want to force you into anything but just know that Namjoon still loves you more than anything. I don't want to break my own son's marriage but I can't let him walk into a relationship knowing it'll never be enough for him, either".

"I don't understand", Jungkook sobs heavily, muffling the sounds with his hands. "Think of this as a second chance, Jungkook. The things you did wrong, both of you, maybe it's time to correct them. You have everything now that you didn't in the past. You can have Namjoon, too, but only if you're willing to try. Only if you still want him", Sejin presses.

"I do! I want him! I love my Namjoon so much!", Jungkook cries, hysteric. "Then go for it. Win him back. Earn his trust again. For yourself, for him, for your kids. And for Seokjin, too. One right step and you can save so many lives from being destroyed. I trust you to make the right decision", Sejin says and starts walking away.

Jungkook watches him go, feeling his heart ache with all the burning sobs tumbling out of him. Suddenly, Sejin turns to him with a nostalgic smile, his own eyes glossy.

"And Jungkook? You're still the only one who gets to call me Dad".

Out of all my works, Nostalgia is my absolute baby. It's my favorite, to write, to read. Just, it's amazing how my own writing makes me feel so much all at once. Surreal.