15. Fate

"I don't care if you can see me", Namjoon replies coldly, trying to get away when Jungkook holds his wrist. Namjoon gasps, surprised. The audacity of this man!

He yanks his hand from Jungkook's hold. "Don't touch me", he hisses. Jungkook immediately backs away. "Joon---", "Stop calling me that?!", Namjoon shouts, incredulous.

A few people from the shop are staring at them and Jungkook feels his face redden from embarrassment. "Please, let's not make a scene here", he says softly.

Namjoon's eyes widen in disbelief and something akin to anger. "Oh? I'm creating a scene? You---", he doesn't get to finish his sentence when Jungkook rests a finger on his lips, pushing him against the wall.

"Not here", he whispers. Namjoon sucks in a deep breath, almost involuntarily. Having Jungkook so close, his lips almost touching his jaw, it's all making Namjoon dizzy. Oh, how he had missed this.

But then he remembers why they're in this situation in the first place and he pushes at Jungkook's chest, making him stumble backwards, doe eyes even wide with shock.

"Don't touch me", Namjoon warns. Jungkook sighs. He had missed Namjoon so much. Eleven years without him had been hard enough already but seeing him now is making him lose his mind. He's just as beautiful as ever.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I won't", he says softly, trying to ease his ex-husband's mind. They stand there awkwardly for a few minutes, not meeting each other's eyes. Jungkook gets restless soon enough and decides to initiate a conversation.

"How have you been?", he asks quietly, feeling a little ashamed when Namjoon chuckles humourlessly. "I'm surprised you have the audacity to ask that, Jeon. I see you're as shameless as ever", he mocks.

Jungkook lowers his head, eyes shutting close. Of course he knows Namjoon doesn't mean all these things. He's just angry and hurt, rightfully so. But his reasoning doesn't make his heart ache any less.

"I'm good, by the way. Living my best fucking life with my son. How about you?", Namjoon asks. He doesn't really want to act this way with Jungkook but he has to. He can't let him believe that he's is miserable without Jungkook even though it won't be far from the truth.

It's been eleven years for god's sake.

"I've been okay", Jungkook answers honestly. "Happy, sometimes. Other times, not so much. Life's going on. Thanks to Jimin", he mutters softly.

Namjoon has to stop himself from asking Jungkook literally everything about Jimin. Turns out he doesn't need to because Jungkook does it himself.

"I met Taehyung a few weeks ago. Jimin brought him home. He's a great kid. You did a great job raising him, Namjoon", Jungkook says softly, eyes so genuine that Namjoon can't even reply to him with a witty remark.

"Jimin is amazing, too", he says instead. There's it again. The awkward silence. Before it can continue any further, Jungkook's phone rings. When he hesitantly out of his pocket, Namjoon doesn't miss his wallpaper.

It's a picture of them together. On their honeymoon.

Namjoon's breath hitches, out of longing. Or maybe out of anger. Because how dare he keep their picture as his wallpaper when he cheated on him? How dare he act like he still cares?

"I'm sorry. I'll come to you. Sorry, baby. Yes, yes", Jungkook's voice brings him out of his thoughts. When Jungkook hangs the call, he looks at Namjoon apologetically. "It was Jimin. I'm sorry, I have to leave you alone here", he says.

Namjoon smiles sarcastically. "You left me alone years ago, Jungkook. Don't apologize now", he scoffs. Jungkook feels the back of his eyes prickle. He has never seen Najoon act like this with anyone. Maybe that's what heartbreak does to you.

"I have to go", he whispers and turns around to go back when Namjoon stops him. "Don't you think it's time to change your lockscreen?", he snarls from behind. Jungkook takes a stuttered breath, feeling his heart hammer in his chest.

"No, I don't", he says quietly, still not turning back to face Namjoon. He doesn't know what expression he's wearing and honestly, he's not sure if he'll be able to handle if it's one full of hurt or anger.

"Jimin might see it, you know?", Namjoon pokes again. He sounds a little different now. Not pissed off like he sounded a minute ago. Jungkook thinks it's okay for him to look at Namjoon now.

He turns around and looks directly into Namjoon's dark eyes, now looking as soft as Jungkook had always known them to be. None of the resentment from minutes before is present anymore.

"I don't want him to know that I'm his...", Namjoon trails off, wrapping his arms around himself like he always did when he felt small and afraid. Jungkook wishes he could be the one wrapping his arms around him instead.

"I think he already knows", Jungkook replies as gently as he can without alarming Namjoon. It does little because Namjoon still flinches like he's suddenly met with fire.

"W-what? H-How?", he asks, voice barely audible. He's looking at his own feet now. "I overheard him talking to Taehyung. I think they both know about us already", he smiles sadly.

Namjoon exhales a shaky breath, digging his blunt nails into his arms so hard Jungkook is afraid he'll break the skin. He tenses momentarily before relaxing when Namjoon relaxes.

"They're trying to get us back together", he continues, chest feeling tighter with every word that leaves his mouth. Namjoon's head snaps up to look at him. His jaw clenches in fury.

"They don't have any right to meddle between us", he says, more to himself, teeth grinding together. Jungkook lets out a little gasp when he sees Namjoon shaking with emotions. It takes everything in him to not just gather the man in his arms.

"Namjoon, they're kids. Let it go. I'm pretty sure it's all over now. They've given up on us. Just like---", he stops himself from saying anything too damaging.

Namjoon visibly calms down. "Just like us, huh", he laughs a little. He sounds pitiful, looks pitiful. Jungkook doesn't know what to do. He's the cause of Namjoon's pain yet he desperately wants to take it all away.

"Namjoon..", he takes a stop forward but his ex stops him, a hand extended in front of his face, the saddest of smiles on his face.

"We had a deal. Are you really gonna break it now?"

This is for you, @RajanyaBiswas  , Happy Birthday, love!!!!

This is for you, @RajanyaBiswas , Happy Birthday, love!!!!