14. See you again

"Is it really necessary for me to come?", Jungkook asks, sighing when Jimin glares at him. "Appa, stop this. You know Taehyung is a really good friend of mine. Of course you have to be there with me", he says.

Jungkook sighs again, fixing his tie as he looks at his own reflection in the mirror. He doesn't look too bad for a man in his early thirties. "Come on, you look good. Maybe you can score a date tonight?", Jimin mentions slyly, pouting when Jungkook scoffs.

"I don't think any sane person would want to date an overly busy man with an overly grown kid who likes to think that his Appa can still go around carrying him", Jungkook says teasingly. Jimin rolls his eyes. "That was one time and I was young. I'm better now", he argues. "You literally asked me to carry you during your birthday last year", Jungkook reminds him.

Jimin ignores him, putting on his shoes instead. Jungkook laughs to himself before checking himself in the mirror one last time.

As Jimin watches his appa twirling around the car before getting inside, he selfishly wishes to have him cross paths with Namjoon. Taehyung doesn't want to do anything with Jungkook but that doesn't mean Namjoon thinks the same.

_________________________________________________

"You can do it, baby! Wish Yoongi from my side", Namjoon says enthusiastically as he presses a big kiss to Taehyung's head, much to his dismay because, "Dad! We're inside the school campus!"

Namjoon laughs and sends Taehyung inside the green room, going around it to take a seat inside the hall. Taehyung had specifically told him to sit in the front. "You can record it and send it to Grandpa! He'll love it!", Taehyung had said. Namjoon smiles, thinking about how happy his dad will be. It's a pity he couldn't come to Taehyung's recital due to his weak knees.

"Good evening! Seoul High School welcomes you all to the 25th Annual Function...."

Namjoon quickly puts his phone back inside, focusing on the show instead. Most of the performances are repeated. While there are some extravagancies, he gets bored soon. Until of course when he hears Taehyung and Yoongi's name being called by the host.

Pulling his old-fashioned camera out (like the embarrassing parent he is), he clicks the record button, smiling proudly when Taehyung meets his eyes once. He watches with excitement and anticipation as Yoongi starts the show with the fifth symphony, eyes closed as if his hands move on their own accord.

Soon after, Taehyung joins with his own keys, eyes flittering to Namjoon in excited nervousness. Every time that happens, Namjoon makes sure to send him an encouraging grin, letting him see how proud he is. The two high schoolers on stage create an environment that screams peace, as ironic as that is. Namjoon is, for the lack of a better word, awed.

There's silence when the performance is over, everyone staring with hung mouths, as if they've been dazed, pulled in a trance that they don't want to get out of even if they can. The quiet is so beautiful until---

Until someone decides to break it. By whistling.

Namjoon's head whips to the side where the sound is coming from. He cranes his neck to see who it is but only manages to make out the silhouette of a boy (probably Taehyung's age), shushing a taller man (probably his dad). Namjoon smiles a little. Must be another embarrassing dad. As the whistling stops and and loud claps take its place, Namjoon finds himself clapping so hard his hands hurt.

The program ends after a few more performances and Namjoon makes sure to tell every living being that the pianists were "my son and his best friend", as he exits the hall, feeling content with everything. He knew Taehyung played the piano well but he played this well, Namjoon couldn't have guessed.

He goes to the school canteen to buy Taehyung some complimentary treats. Vanilla cookies, to be precise because "Dad, our canteen has the best vanilla cookies!". He hears some whining from one of the booths and like the curios being he is, he decides to take a look at what's all the commotion about.

"Appa, why did you do that?", someone whines. Namjoon narrows his eyes. That voice sounds vaguely familiar. He hears a sweet laugh, a very familiar one. His breath catches in his throat as he clutches the paper bag of cookies to his chest, swallowing hard.

"I'm sorry, baby. I couldn't help it. They were just too good!", that very familiar voice says and no, it can't be him. Namjoon, get your shit together. He left seoul years ago. This is Jimin's father who just sounds a little familiar. Nothing else. It's no big deal.

Except, it is a big deal. A very big one.

His suspicions come to life as Jimin mutters something and moves towards the shop, giving Namjoon a very unwanted but a very needed, direct view of his Appa's face.

Despite everything, Namjoon's first thought upon seeing Jungkook's face is "he's as pretty as ever". He quickly shakes his head, cursing at himself for being weak and stupid. This man cheated on you, Namjoon. You're the last person to call him pretty.

He allows himself to take a brief look at Jungkook's smiling face. He doesn't look like he has aged much despite the obvious grey hairs on his head. He hasn't bothered dyeing them. Namjoon chuckles when he recalls the night of their wedding.

After one of the most awesome sex ever, they had cuddled up under the sheets and talked about how they'll be together even when they're grey and wrinkled. Jungkook had shamelessly admitted that he wouldn't dye his hair on purpose, just so Namjoon could do it for him. Namjoon had giggled between their kisses and muttered, "gladly".

The thought brings back painfully nostalgic memories. And suddenly, Namjoon is hit by the bitter reality of his life. He had cried a lot the first day he went back home alone with Taehyung but had quickly decided that if that's what his fate had written for him, he would accept it.

Now that he has seen Jungkook after almost twelve years, he realizes how much he yearns Jungkook's voice, his touch, his lips, his smile, and... Jimin. Feeling nauseous, he takes a step back, turns around to rush to Taehyung, only to freeze in place when he hears that sickly sweet voice again.

"You know I can see you, right?"