Chapter 24

The whole long way to her room, Freya made a plan. She took out her phone and bought a plane ticket for Sokovia for today. In her room, she immediately sat down at the desk, her hand around the necklace. She took a few deep, shaky breaths, took out a piece of paper and a pen and started writing.

Dear Bucky,

I am writing to you because I just can't bear to write to any of the others. First, I want you to promise you will not follow me. I have gone to reunite with my family at last. Second, I want to thank you for everything you have done for me. You were like a brother to me. I could talk with you about everything and you really helped me.

Please tell Tony that I am sorry that he thinks this way. Tell him, everything I said was true. Tell him, I am not a spy and I would have never hurt them on purpose. I understand if he thinks this way and I am not angry if he doesn't forgive me. Tell him, that I don't blame him and that all of this is not his fault. Yes, he was right about my past. I killed for Strucker. But I know what I did was wrong and I regret it more than anything in my life. I understand if he doesn't forgive me.

Tell Steve that I am thankful for everything he has done for me in the past. I am thankful that he stood behind me from the beginning and never questioned my trust. I am sorry it had to come that way, but he will understand and move on.

Please say to the rest "Thank you" for everything. I found a new family here and a new home. Tell them I am thankful that they accepted me how I was and that they saw me as a part of their team. I just didn't fit quite in, but that's okay. It wasn't their fault.

And please tell Natasha

Freya paused and closed her eyes. A tear dropped on the paper, smudging Natasha's name.

that I am sorry. Tell her, that I am sorry for what I did to her. Tell her, that I won't blame her if she doesn't forgive me. Nat, you were right. I do love you. More than anything. But I was a coward, too scared to tell you, scared of myself. Wherever I go today, I will love you there too. Nothing will ever change that.

Freya took off her necklace and held it in her hands.

You have both wings now. Now you are free

Freya swallowed but then added

of me. I promise you will move on. I promise we will meet again someday. If you want to.

Just at that moment, Freya remembered that she was originally writing to Bucky and she quickly added:

Please give her this letter. She should read it.

Don't let her die. Don't let her do something stupid. Please promise me to not let anything happen to her.

Be careful. I hope you will free yourself completely one day.

See you in another life

Freya

She swallowed hard and stood up. She placed the letter on the bed, together with the necklace. With one last look at it, she took out the painting of her family and looked at the words on the back.

We hope you will come back. Please visit us, Freya! We love you! Wanda, Pietro

"I'm coming", she whispered, opened the window and let herself fall down. She didn't dare think about Natasha lying on that table, or the wing that now laid on the bed. In about one hour Bucky would walk into that room, wanting to ask her why it took so long. He would find the letter and the necklace and bring it back to the others. He would read it out. He would give Natasha the necklace. But then, Freya would already be on her way to Sokovia.