Chapter 51

———————————————

September 2017; set before Avengers: Infinity War

———————————————

warning: mild description of s*x (just skip if you're uncomfortable :))

Freya scrolled through the description of the hotel she'd picked out and with a sigh, she left the page again: way too expensive. She got back to the main page, looking through more hotels near the coast in Denmark. Right now, she, Natasha, Sam and Steve were in Sweden, but they'd already been there for almost a month. It was time for them to move.

Freya sighed again and rubbed her aching neck. They were lucky with this hotel and she was kind of sad to already leave. For a small price, they managed to get two separate rooms, one for Freya and Nat and one for Steve and Sam. Everyone in the small city was very nice and even though Freya couldn't understand their language, everyone was always eager to help them.

She heard the door of the room opening but didn't turn around to Natasha. She'd gone out a while ago to get some groceries and was probably just going to put them in the small kitchen before helping Freya. But a second later, her strong arms wrapped around Freya's body.

"Happy Birthday", she whispered in her ear and pressed a kiss on Freya's cheek.

Without looking up from her screen, Freya took Natasha's hand and kissed it. "Don't be silly, it's not my birthday", she said.

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's -" Freya's eyes shot to the corner of the laptop screen, to the date. 4th September 2017 10:24 AM. "Okay, yes, maybe it is", she answered, but still didn't turn around.

"Come on, you don't have to work on your birthday." Natasha sat down in front of her and closed the laptop. With a sigh, Freya looked at her.

"It's just another day."

"No, it isn't. It's a special day. Your day. You are now officially 32."

Freya groaned. "Don't remind me."

"Why? 32 is a beautiful age. I'm sad my birthday is so soon and I can no longer share this great number with you. Oh, wait, I almost forgot-" Natasha shot up from her seat and a few seconds later, she sat down again, holding up a small bouquet. "Ta-Da! Happy Birthday, Love."

"Oh, Nat." Tears shot into Freya's eyes as she took the wild mix of flowers. "You didn't have to get me something." Then she frowned and a grin appeared on her face. "Did you just call me 'love'?"

"Maybe. Why, don't you like it?"

"No, no, I love it when you say that." Freya leaned over the table to kiss Natasha. "I love you." She leaned back again and looked up, thinking. "Ya... lyublyu... tyebya." I love you.

Natasha looked at her, shocked. "When did you learn to speak Russian?"

"I was in the Red Room, remember? I spoke English most of the time, but it was a school in Russia, so I picked up something."

Natasha smiled and leaned over the table, only stopping a few inches in front of Freya's face. "I like how you say that", she whispered. "Say it again."

"Ya lyublyu tyebya."

"Again."

"Ya lyublyu tyebya, Natasha Romanoff."