Chapter 12

Early 2014; set during The Winter Soldier

-------------------------------------------------------

Freya braided her hair on the backseat of a car, Natasha behind the steering wheel, on her way to pick up Steve Rogers to go on a mission with them. They had to free hostages from pirates and their leader Georges Batroc.
Amazing how things have developed.

Freya put a scrunchie around her hair and flicked the braid over her shoulder. She was wearing a black, full-body suit that had metallic armour-parts at the knees, legs, and arms. Knives and daggers were hidden in the sleeves, pockets, and shoes, and on her back, she had a sheath with two swords. This kinda became her normal outfit for missions.

Natasha stopped at the Park, where Steve was talking with a black guy. They seemed like they jogged together because the hoodie of the black guy was wet from sweat, but Steve didn't sweat at all.

"Hey, fellas", Natasha said casually as she looked at Steve and the other guy. "Either one of you knows where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil."

On the backseat, Freya slightly smiled and Steve answered, half-amused, half-annoyed: "That's hilarious."

He opened the door and sat down next to Natasha on the front seat.

"Hey, Steve", Freya said. He turned around and smiled.

"Hi, Freya."

He turned around again and looked at the black guy who sat on the floor now.
"Can't run everywhere."

"No, you can't", the guy answered with a smile and Natasha drove off.

"Target is a mobile satellite launch platform", Rumlow explained while he was showing the ship on a screen in front of him.

They were now on the plane, flying above the Indian ocean.

"They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago", Rumlow continued.

"Any demands?", Steve asked, now in his suit.

"Billion and a half."

"Why so steep?"

"Because it's SHIELD's."

Freya was only listening with one ear while Rumlow explained. Instead, her mind drifted off to a girl she saved from a bully yesterday.

The girl hadn't been older than 12 and a little chubby, and the guy, a muscular boy about 15 said: "You can't be a hero, look at you! You are weak!"

When Freya saw her, she looked like this guy already said that for a while, because tears were running down her face. But the girl stood upright and in her eyes, Freya saw determination.

"I can be what I want to be", she said.

The guy pushed the girl and she fell, blood on her hands and knees.

"You think you are really cool", Freya said and the guy turned around.

"Do you want to feel my fist in your face?", he asked, smiling.

"Do you?", Freya asked back.

"You are only a girl, just like her."
He pointed to the floor.

"I see this as a compliment", Freya said and within a few seconds, he laid on the floor, blood streaming out of his nose. "You can tell your parents where you got this from."

He stood up and ran away, holding his shirt in front of his nose.

Freya helped the girl up and asked: "What's your name?"