Chapter 43

--------------------------

mid-2016; set during Captain America: Civil War

--------------------------

"All right, what do you see?", Steve asked through comms and Freya turned around in her seat, sipping at her hot coffee.

Lagos was a pretty city, not very big, with nice houses in bright colours and a huge market that reminded Freya of the one that was in Sokovia.

"Standard beat cops", Wanda answered and Freya looked at the chatting police officers on the other side of the street before turning around again.

"Small station", she said and held her head down, her black cap shielding her eyes from the sun. "Quiet street. It's a good target."

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?", Steve asked.

"Cameras", Wanda answered.

"Both cross-streets are one way."

"So, compromised escape routes."

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen. He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Freya looked over her shoulder and asked: "The red one?"

"It's cute", Wanda said.

"It's also bulletproof", Natasha added and Freya turned back around, looking at her from across the rows of tables. "Which means private security", Nat continued, "which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us."

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?", Wanda asked.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature", Natasha said.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?", Sam now said through comms.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?"

"Eyes on target, folks", Steve interrupted them. "This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months, I don't want to lose him."

Sam scoffed. "If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us."

"You don't say", Freya said and took another sip of her coffee.

"Sam", Steve said. "You see that garbage truck? Tag it."

A few seconds of silence followed until Sam said: "That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver is armed."

"It's a battering ram", Natasha said.

"Go now. He's not hitting the police", Steve said and Freya put her coffee mug on the table, standing up at the same time that Natasha and Wanda do the same. Natasha went off to get her motorbike ( which Freya got her as a birthday gift last year), while Wanda and Freya ran and followed Sam flying above.

A minute later, they reached the Institute for infectious diseases, where two trucks with about a dozen armed men were already standing in front of it.

Sam dropped Steve to the floor and Freya now also spread her wings and landed on the ground next to him and shot a fireball at one of the trucks. It exploded in a blaze of black fire and Freya turned around to see Wanda landing there as well, her red energy building a shield in front of her.

"I make seven hostiles", Steve said and a few seconds later, Sam added: "I make five."

Freya heard footsteps behind her and turned around just in time to see a guy pointing a gun at her. By the time he shot, she was already behind him, sucking the air out of his lungs. "Four", she said.