Chapter 55

Freya took off with a huge flap of her wings, ripping her hand from Natasha's grip and not daring to look back. She had to concentrate if they wanted to make it.

She flew towards the barrier, waiting for T'Challa's command. And then he shouted: "Now!"

A small section of the barrier opened, but it was enough for the Outriders to all rush to that one point, squeezing themselves through it. With a small shimmer of relief, Freya noticed that even the ones that had started circling them now changed their course again to follow their companions inside.

Freya stopped right over the opening and threw a wave of black fire against the coming aliens. A dozen screams sounded up to her, but only a second later they were fading. The only thing that was left of them was ash blown away in the wind.

But there were so, so many still coming. Freya knew her powers wouldn't hold that long. Still, she gritted her teeth and did it again, and again, not daring to make a firewall too big in fear that the Outriders would then start circling them in again.

She let herself fall down, right in the middle of the aliens and landed on one of her knees, the ground shaking with the impact. Veins of black power rippled through the earth, killing everything in its path. But for every dead alien, another one came to replace it immediately after.

Freya stood up again and looked down on her. "Ew", she silently said, noting how she landed and how did the very fighting pose she mocked Natasha about.

In the distance, she could barely make out the single soldiers, didn't dare count how many already went down in this fight. She flew up again, leaving the aliens on the ground screeching at her in frustration, and she soared towards the mass of Outriders on the hill.

Almost immediately, she made out Natasha's blonde head, twirling around and shooting everything that came too close. She is fine, Freya assured herself but spotted another problem right away: Bucky, slowly going to the ground, his machine gun doing little damage against the mass of aliens slowly burying him.

Changing the current of the wind to guide her, Freya swooped down, rushing only a few feet above the ground. Her wings cut through the Outriders around Bucky like a knife through butter and she sent them all flying to the ground, either dead or too injured to stand up again.

She landed a few feet next to Bucky and walked the rest towards him, helping him back on his feet. He didn't give her more than a nod as a thank you and said: "There are too many."

"I know", Freya said and was slightly horrified by the fact that she was out of breath. Already. She'd used too much of her power in a short period of time.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Bucky put a hand on her shoulder, noting her shortness of breath.

"No, no, I'm fine", Freya answered and shook off his hand, pointing at the aliens in an attempt to change the topic. "We have more serious problems."

Bucky gritted his teeth in answer and raised his gun again, shooting at the Outriders cling in on them. Freya took a deep breath and rose into the air again.

But at that exact moment, a beam of rainbow-hued light landed in the middle of the battlefield and an axe flew out of it and through rows of Outriders, their bodies crackling with electricity. Every head turned around to the light and the axe now flying back towards its owner. And when the light started fading, Freya saw who it belonged to.

"You guys are so screwed now!", Bruce shouted towards the Outriders, the helmet of his suit open to reveal a laughing face. And even Freya allowed herself this one bit of relief.