Chapter 59

An hour later, Freya found herself sitting in the back of the spaceship Tony arrived with, checking her seatbelts. Even though she connected it with so many horrible memories, she wore her black suit again, the leather tight against her skin.

She looked to her right at Natasha, who was also fumbling with her seatbelt. When she noticed Freya staring, she looked up and gave her a slight grin. "We're gonna save them, okay?", she said. "I promise."

Freya nodded, hoping that Natasha was right. But they were stronger now. They learned. They got the surprise on their side. They got that Carol woman. Nothing could go wrong.

"Are you ready?", Carol asked from the front, Rocket next to her clicking a few more buttons.

No one answered, but apparently Carol took that as a yes and the engines of the spaceship powered up.

The start was like flying with the Quinjet, but then it flew higher and higher and higher, until the sky turned from blue to black and the stars seemed to be close to touching them.

Behind her, Freya felt the ship rumbling and shifting as if ready to speed up and at that moment Rocket turned around to them and asked: "Okay, who here hasn't been to space?"

Steve, Natasha and Rhodey raised their hands and Freya joined them hesitantly. Down on Earth, it felt like she'd been in so many places, been around the whole world on her missions. But surrounded by Carol and Rocket who visit several other planets every day, she seemed so small, so insignificant.

Carol chuckled slightly as she beheld the many hands up and Rocket turned back around again. "You better not throw up on my ship", he said.

Freya looked at Natasha again and their hands touched in the middle, their fingers entwined. Natasha nodded and Freya took a deep breath as Nebula counted down. "Approaching jump in three... two... one."

The ship got faster, and faster, and faster, so fast that Freya got pressed back into her seat and the stars outside were merely a blur. The whole spaceship rumbled, but she was too busy admiring the colours outside, the milky clouds they passed, the stars and moons and planets that went by so fast she barely saw them.

Already a few seconds later, a hexagon opened in the middle of space and the ship went right through, coming to an abrupt halt behind it. Freya craned her neck to peek out of the front window and saw the planet she had seen on the hologram earlier this day. Carol was gone, but a second later, Freya spotted her outside, floating in front of the ship while colourful streams of her power surrounded her.

"I'll head down for reckon", her voice sounded through the ship and she flew down and towards the planet.

While she was observing the planet for any weak spots, Freya turned towards Natasha, who's eyes were shining with awe at the planet.

"It's incredible, isn't it?", she asked. "Thinking that our world is big and then realising that there are thousands and thousands of more worlds out there and we are just so so small."

Freya nudged her girlfriend's hand, grinning. "When did you become so poetic?"

Natasha now also turned to her and she stuck out her tongue. "Shut up. And you know that I'm right."

Before Freya could argue any more, Carol was in front of the ship again. Everyone stood up and walked to the front, while Natasha took Freya's hand and squeezed it lightly. "This is gonna work", she whispered. "I promise."

"I know", Freya answered. "Cause I don't know what I'm gonna do if it doesn't."

"No satellites", Carol interrupted them and Freya cleared her throat, looking straight ahead. "No ships. No armies. No ground defences of any kind. It's just him."