Chapter 48

Freya looked at Natasha, at the woman she loved, at the woman who chose the wrong side. She was trying to avoid fighting her the entire time - but now it looked like there was no other way.

"Natasha", she said, her voice weaker than she intended. "Please don't make me, us, do this."

Natasha looked at her, a look on her face that Freya couldn't quite sort in. Was that regret?

"You're not gonna stop", she said.

"You know we can't", Steve answered.

Natasha raised her arm, the electric shooter on her wrists lightening up. "I'm gonna regret this."

Freya took a breath, preparing herself for what was to come. But instead of shooting Freya, Steve or Bucky, it went straight past them. Freya turned around just in time to see T'Challa, electricity crawling up his body as he kneeled on the ground.

"Go", Natasha said, her arm still raised. Steve didn't waste any time and ran past her, pulling Bucky along with him. Natasha nodded in Freya's direction, who spread her wings and flew up, her brain not knowing what to do.

From above, she watched as Natasha kept on shooting T'Challa to keep him from getting on the Quinjet, which powered up and rose into the air. T'Challa got himself free and jumped onto the jet, but with her power, Freya threw him on the ground again.

Freya got out of the hangar, closely followed by the Quinjet. She made sure no one came too close, though her mind was somewhere else.

Natasha just helped them escape. They wouldn't have gotten away if she didn't switch sides, Freya knew that. And she did switch sides. She just turned against the government, against Tony to help them, knowing the risk. She changed her mind when she saw how far it went.

"Hey, Freya, we got something behind us", Bucky's voice sounded in her ear, ripping her out of her thoughts. She turned her head and saw Rhodey and Tony, right on their heels, followed by Sam.

Freya turned on her back to have a better view and tried to steer them out of the way, throw them off the course, but they always caught themselves again.

Suddenly, a yellow beam of energy came towards all of them. Freya was just in her motion, manipulating the air around Rhodey to get him away, so she couldn't stop herself anymore as Vision's laser came closer. Sam dodged it and Freya could do nothing as her powers controlled Rhodey - and threw him right in front of the laser.

It hit the core on his chest, the light dying out - and then he fell. Instinctively, Freya let herself fall down as well, just as Tony and Sam next to her. Rhodey came closer and closer, but not fast enough. No one of them was fast enough.

And he hit the ground with a loud thud, dust whirling around him. Freya stopped abruptly, floating in the air, while Sam and Tony landed on the ground, Tony right in front of Rhodey and Sam a few feet away.

Tony kneeled down in the crater in which Rhodey lied, his body motionless, and Tony ripped off the mask of his best friend's face. Rhodey's eyes were closed, his nose bleeding, but when Freya searched for it, she found the silent humming in his brain that told her that he was alive.

"Read vitals", Tony told FRIDAY and even from that distance, even though he tried to cover it up, Freya didn't miss how scared he was.

"Heartbeat detected", FRIDAY answered, barely audible from that distance. "Emergency medical is on its way."

There were a few seconds of silence in which no one dared to say anything. Then Sam broke the silence. "I'm sorry."

Without looking up, Tony raised his arm and shot Sam in the chest, which sent him flying backwards. For a second, Freya thought about looking after Sam, but she stayed where she was.

It was her fault. She steered him in the way of Vison's laser. Because of her, Rhodey was now seriously injured, injuries he might never recover from. He might die. Another person on Freya's conscience, another friend dead.

"I am so sorry, Tony", she whispered and for a second, she thought Tony didn't hear her, but then he turned his head, looking up at her. "It was my fault. I know that. But let me heal him, I can-"

"No!", Tony shouted. "Your magic will not touch him!"

Freya flinched back, but she didn't stop. "I would just make sure he's stable until he gets to the hospital, I swear I won't hurt him-"

But she couldn't finish her sentence.

A second later she was falling, her chest aching from where Tony shot her. Her wings failed her and she couldn't control her fall as she hit a stone on the ground.

The next thing she knew was the well-known darkness surrounding her.

—————————————————
sorry for the short chapter, the next one will be longer :)