Chapter 29

Freya can't remember for how long she held Natasha like that. It could have been just a second, it could have been minutes. She buried her face in Natasha's hair and just breathed in her scent.

"It is okay, you are safe, you are safe", Natasha whispered and Freya leaned back to look at her.

Natasha's green eyes were red from tears, her hair in an untidy high ponytail. The bandages were gone, except for the ones at her hands, but instead, Freya looked at the already healing wounds all over Natasha's arms and even her neck.

"I'm sorry", Freya choked.

"Look at me." Freya did as Natasha told her and ripped her eyes from the mess she created on Natasha. "It is all right. It was not your fault."

"I love you." The words escaped her lips before she could stop them. "I love you, Natasha."

"Are you-", Natasha started, but her words got cut off.

Without thinking, Freya leaned forward and kissed her. The world seemed to slow down as her dry lips brushed over Natasha's. She had her eyes closed and imagined them at the cabin in the forest, both happy and safe. She raised her hands to touch Natasha's face, the soft skin warm under her hands.

Natasha pulled back and looked at Freya, her eyes wide open.

Before she could say anything, Freya quickly said: "I am sorry. I shouldn't have... I don't want to hurt you again. I shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry." She lowered her hand again and wanted to move away from her somehow, but Natasha gently took her hand.

"You won't", she simply said.

"But what if I-"

"You won't", she repeated and then added: "I promise."

"How do you know?"

Natasha rolled her eyes. "Just shut up and kiss me again." She grabbed Freya's face and pulled her close.

And as their lips connected, Freya knew that she was right.

The next few days flew by in a rush. Every one of the Avengers came at least once to see her, even Tony, who excused for his behaviour.

"Did you just say 'sorry'?", Freya asked in disbelief and when Tony nodded, she added: "Hang on, can you say that in front of the camera?"

"Don't make me say it again, this will be the last time you heard it from me", Tony said and left the room.

Natasha insisted on staying with Freya the whole time, but Freya could convince her that nothing will happen.

"I'm can sleep very well, thank you", she said.

"I know, but what if something happens?", Natasha asked.

"Like what?"

"You know what happened the last time when we left you alone for just an hour."

"I won't do it again, I promise."

That seemed to be enough for Natasha and she only was in Freya's room in the daytime. She took her on walks through Central Park and they went to eat pizza, burger and shawarma almost every day.

After a few days, Bruce allowed her to sleep in her room again and she almost cried when she saw what laid on the bed.

"Did I buy the wrong one?", Natasha asked when she saw the tears in Freya's eyes. "I thought I remember you saying that you like dark chocolate the most."

Freya just laughed. "The chocolate is perfect Natasha, but that's not what I was looking at." She walked over to the bed and picked up the silver necklace with the wing pendant.