Chapter 10

After the meeting, Freya went to her room alone. Natasha wanted to go with her, but she wanted to be alone to think and she knew the way anyway.

Natasha said she would pick Freya up in the evening to show her her new room, and Freya agreed.

On her way to her room, she thought about what she could do now. She was still kinda locked up here, but if she asked the Avengers they would probably allow her to go to kill Strucker. She definitely wanted to kill him, no matter what, but she would have to do it smartly. And she didn't want it to be quick, she wanted to torture him for days, as a revenge for all the innocent people he made her kill.

She would avenge them.

In her room, Freya threw herself on the bed and stared at the ceiling when she suddenly heard a knock on the door.

She sat up and said: "Come in."

To her surprise, it wasn't Natasha but Steve Rogers who opened the door.

He stood in the doorway, looked around the room, the rubble, the wreckage, and said: "I am sorry to bother you, I just wanted to talk to you."

Freya frowned but agreed.

He sat down on the unbroken chair, maybe because he knew that Freya didn't like to have people near her.

He cleared his throat. "I first want to thank you for telling us everything."

Freya just nodded.
"Did you just come here to thank me?", she asked with a slight smile.

He didn't smile back and looked to the ground.
"While you talked, you sometimes hesitated. Your eyes are empty. And when you screamed and said something about the minds of hundreds of people... I... I just wanted to make sure you are alright. It's okay if you don't want to talk about it", he quickly added when he saw her face, "I just want you to know that you have someone to talk to if you want to."

Freya pulled up her knees and laid her face in her hands.
After a few seconds, she looked at Rogers again.
"After I attacked you, I had a dream", Freya finally said. "I was in my apartment in my hometown in Sokovia. I saw my family, my parents, and my siblings. My siblings looked like ten, so it must have been twelve or thirteen years ago. I saw..."
Freya swallowed.
"The house exploded and with them my family. They are dead."

She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths to control her tears. Saying these words was far more painful than she thought.

Rogers looked at her with a sad expression.
"How do you know it really happened?", he asked. "It could have just been a nightmare."

Freya took out the picture of her family she kept in her pocket.
"In my dream, I found this picture. My siblings drew it for my 15th birthday, five years after I was sent away. I put it in my pocket and when I woke up it was still there. The dream must have been real."

Rogers looked like he wanted to say something, but Freya continued.
"Then, when I had the vision in the Conference Room I saw my sister Wanda again, but she was about six years old, like on the day I saw her for the last time. She was the one who told me about the Stones and Thanos. But I'm not sure... I saw her die and then I saw her, but in this one, she was only two and now I don't know -"

She took a few deep breaths.

"And about what just happened... I can not control this new power, This whole mind-reading thing. Sometimes I just get overwhelmed. I also had it yesterday." She pointed at the room, the rubble, the wood on the floor. "I had something like that while I was at Strucker's too. These breakdowns. I guess it was because of my powers, they are just too much for a single person to bear."