Chapter 39

The whole world fell silent. And Freya couldn't take it anymore.

She screamed. And screamed again. And again. And again.

She felt nothing but the pain at the place where Pietro once sat in her heart. She lost him already. And then she found him. And then she lost him again.

Distantly, she felt her powers erupting from her. But she didn't care.

Didn't care about the bullet in her shoulder. Didn't care about her powers vaporizing everything that came too close to her. Didn't even care about Clint and the kid on the ground.

Another part of her family. Gone. Dead. But that wasn't the worst.

It's my fault, it's my fault. I didn't save him.

And that hurt more.

Her screams turned into sobs and she fell. Her knees hit the ground hard, right in front of his body. She stared down at his silver hair, his blue, lifeless eyes.

"I'm so sorry", she whispered, choking on her words. She closed his eyes and stood up again, her legs shaking in numb pain. She looked up in the sky, at the helicopter with Ultron inside. And rage came up in her.

A cry escaped her lips, a battle cry. She spread her wings and wanted to fly up there and rip Ultron apart piece by piece, but a hand on her arm held her back.

"LET ME GO!" Freya turned around and raised her flaming hand, but Natasha didn't even flinch. Her eyes were shiny with tears.

"Please, you will die", she said, pointing to Freya's bleeding shoulder.

"Natasha, don't!"

"Please, do it for me." And that calmed Freya a little, eased the rage in her. The flames disappeared, making space for tears.

She looked at Pietro's body and whispered, her voice trembling: "I didn't even get to know him. He was my brother and I knew nothing about him."

"I am so sorry." Natasha embraced Freya, who leaned into it, into the only comfort she could get.

Suddenly, the whole city rumbled and Freya looked up. "Get on the ship", she said, her voice stronger than she actually was.

"Not until I know you save!"

"Do it for me." Freya looked into Natasha's eyes and saw, that she got her. "And take him with you. Please."

Natasha nodded and hugged Freya again. "Do what you need to do", she said. "And come back to me."

"Always." Freya spread her wings and with one last look back down, at Natasha picking up Pietro's body as if it weighed nothing, she flew off to the church in the centre of the city. But when she arrived, her heart ached again.

There was Wanda, kneeling on the stone floor of the church, tears streaming down her face and all around her, something that seemed like metallic dust all over the floor.

"No", Freya whispered and softly landed next to Wanda not to startle her. But she didn't even look up.

"Wanda." Freya put her hand on Wanda's shoulder and finally, she looked up, her green eyes full of desperation and sadness.

"How?", she asked, her voice shaking.

Freya didn't need to ask to know what she meant. "He sacrificed himself to save Clint and a child. He died a hero." And I didn't save him. She would tell her. But not now.

"I will kill Ultron", Wanda said and Freya recognized her own rage in Wanda's eyes.

"Don't", Freya said. "Please. Get on the ships. I..." She couldn't help her voice from breaking at that point. "I couldn't bear to bury another person I love."