Chapter Nineteen

The next morning I woke with Austin's arms wrapped around me pulling me close to him, the smell of him filled the room, I remembered everything from last night and a smile came across my face at the thought of it. Austin was still fast asleep, his eyes shut, there were small creased around his eyes and a scar that ran across the bridge of his nose. His lips were parted slightly and his light brown hair was messy and sticking up in all directions. He was quiet and peaceful when he slept, but when he woke I knew that he would be the loud and vibrant man that I loved and adored. There was a groan that escaped his lips as he rolled over and opened his eyes.

''Morning.'' I realised that I probably looked strange just sitting there watching him. He gave me a smile and pulled me into his chest to hug him. 

''Morning,'' Austin  returned the gesture and kissed me. I laid with Austin for a little while longer before I left him in the bed while I went to check on River. In her cot River was curled up and fast asleep, her blond hair wild around her head, she was just the most beautiful thing I had ever laid my eyes on. ''She's a looker ain't she?'' Austin came up behind me and rested his head on my shoulder, my skin lingered. We stood over River's cot watching her sleep, the way he held me as we watched her was the way that every girl longed to be held. I turned around and led Austin out of the room, we went to the kitchen where I made coffee while Austin sat in the lounge. I poured each of us a cup of coffee and went down to sit next to him, he had turned the TV on and there was some sort of old movie on that I recognised from when I was a child: The Burrowers. As we sat there and drank our coffee I felt no need to talk to him, it was comfortable. The way we were was comfortable. 

Later that day Austin and I took River out to the horses and sat her upon Bird's back. It was the first time she had ever been on a horse before and it made me so proud to see. Ever since I had River I imagined her one day filling my shoes when the time was right, and if she never wanted anything to do with horses I was never going to push her. But my heart was so full as I saw her sit upon Bird's back with Austin's hands holding her steady.