Chapter Four

One Week Later 

After the visit from Ryder, we had decided that would be good if he got to see River every now and then, but there was no way that I was going to let him become a major part of her life. I opened the stable doors and walked inside seeing the happy faces of my girls. River was staying at her grandparent's house for today, so I was able to get a few things done. I turned Token and Maple out into their pastures for today and I brought Apache inside to have her breakfast in her stall. While I was pregnant with River my father came over and extended the stables, adding a bigger stall down the end where Apache could have more space than the girls.  

Once I had finished doing my chores I tacked Bird up and took her out to the arena. It had been such a long time since I had riden her.  As I walked around the arena Bird stretched her neck out and looked around at her surroundings. I knew that I was back, and there was nothing that was going to change my mind. The morning sun was just beginning to rise over the mountains and the cool dawn of day was setting in. It was almost winter and I could feel the snow coming. I took Bird out of the arena and began our way down the trail towards the lake on our property. There was something so magical about that trail, and there was no other horse that I enjoyed it with than Bird. 

Later that night my phone buzzed with an email as I was putting the horses back into their stalls and taking Apache out to his pasture. The email was from a messenger I didn't recognise but I opened it anyway. 

Dear Miss Ail Bennett,

My name is Peter Hemming and I am a friend of your father. Last year I gave a mustang stallion to your dad and he has informed me that you have been working with the horse, I am so grateful that he has found someone to trust and love him. As I was worried that he was going to be sent away and used for something much worse. I am emailing you as I have had another mustang that I am offering you if you are willing to take her. I have had the vet come out and check her and she is much more approachable and has been handled a bit more than the stallion was. Please let me know what your thoughts are, as I want her to go to a good home. 

Your's Sincerely Peter Hemming.

I shut my phone and looked around me, I didn't know what to say back to this. I already had too many horses and was considering selling Maple, but I hated the idea that there was a horse out there that needed my help and I had done so much for Apache already. He was a much happier horse now, and although I hadn't done much with him lately I was planning on changing that and taking him to a rodeo or two. So I emailed Peter Hemming back and told him that I would pick the mare up at the end of the week.