Chapter Ten

The trailer was loaded with all the things I needed for this weekend away with Bird and Apache. I had them both entered in a small local rodeo and we were to run in the slack. I could feel that Apache was ready for this, but if he wasn't I could pull him out at the last minute. It was good for Bird to be out and about, back on her feet doing her thing, so I hauled her along with us. I missed hauling horses around the country, even if the rodeo was only an hour away I missed it. River was in her car seat with a little bottle of water in her tiny hands, her blond hair was held back by a headband and her big blue eyes blinked at me with curiosity. 

When we arrived at the rodeo grounds I signed in straight away and then unloaded the horses into their stalls. I made sure I got the end two stalls so Apache could have the last one, the last thing I needed was my mustang stirring up trouble with the new horse next to him. River sat in the pram while I got the horses settled into their stalls, she was occupied by me wrapping Bird's legs with stable bandages. It was so fascinating how babies got excitement out of the smallest things. 

''You Ail Bennett?'' I turned around from Bird and saw the tall thin man standing at the stall door next to River's pram. He had a dark blond mullet and wild green eyes, there was a dark mark along his jaw, bits of hay stuck out of his cap and his red rodeo shirt fitted loosely around his frame. There was something warm about the smile he gave and yet there was something so reckless and dangerous about it too. 

''Yes, that's me.'' I finished wrapping the last bandage on Bird's back leg and walked out to the man. ''What can I do for you?'' I asked while I wiped my grubby hands on the front of my jeans. 

''I came to drop off your hay, each rider gets half a bale for their horses.'' Then I noticed the trolly that was behind the man that was in fact filled with hay. 

''Oh right, yeah, thanks.'' I walked over to the trolly with the man and picked out my hay for my horses. ''Thanks,'' I said.

''My pleasure, I'm Austin by the way.'' I shook Austin's hand and watched him walk down the line and hand out the rest of the hay. I picked River up out of her pram and walked her into Bird's stall, River held her hand out onto the honey mares nose. My heart melted at the sight, I loved everything about her so much. I locked the horse's stalls and made my way over to my truck and trailer.

Standing the leaning against the back of my truck is Ryder with the glow of a lit cigarette handing out of his mouth. My stomach twisted inside of me and I held River tight to my body.

''What do you want Ryder?'' I asked him. ''I told you to stay away from me.'' Ryder stepped out of the darkness and towards me, my heart sunk and I wanted to leave right away, but I just stood there frozen on the spot. 

''I think we got off on the wrong foot last time.'' He was speaking as if that was our first time meeting, but I knew that it wasn't. There was no way that I was going to pretend that nothing ever happened between us and that Ryder hadn't treated me the way he did. I would forever remember that. ''Listen Ail that girl, that wasn't what it looked like.'' 

''Then what was it?'' I snapped at him. ''And tell me this where the hell is Colt?'' I pushed past Ryder and buckled River into her car seat and locked her in the car away from this man. 

''Colt is at my parent's place, and as for Monica that was just a buckle bunny. You know what there like.'' I rolled my eyes at him and crossed my arms over my chest.

''Do you think this is some kind of joke Ryder? That wasn't just some buckle bunny, you clearly had an interest in her and she didn't know you had kids. Because in fact, you didn't tell her. Maybe because your embarrassed and that is why you don't take colt to any rodeos anymore. You would take him to rodeo's when we were together, but that was only because it made us look like a family and you liked that. You know that it is only eight seconds right? That's all it is and it seems to consume you so much more than anything else, that is what wrecked us. It was that stupid bull riding, that stupid eight seconds.'' I felt like I had just gotten a huge weight off my chest, and in that, I had made a scene from screaming at my ex-boyfriend in the trailer parking lot. 

By now Ryder had put out his cigarette and rubbed the back of his head. He looked like he had just seen a ghost and I stood there as I watched all the colour drain from his face. 

''Ail, I'm sorry and yes your right. I am sorry for what I've done I always have been, I want to be in River's life, please just give me a chance.'' Ryder brought his hand up and traced his fingers along my cheek, it sent shivers over my body and the heat I once felt from his touch felt cold, but I stood there and just stared at Ryder. He leaned in close to me and tried to crash his lips against mine.

''Get the fuck off me!'' I screamed at him and tried to push his body off me, but he was too strong. I could hear something behind me and I tried to turn around to see who it was, I caught a glimpse of a familiar figure. 

''She said to get off her.'' A man who I now saw was Austin had pushed Ryder off me and against the side of my trailer by the scruff of his shirt. Austin had this look in his eyes that made me feel safe and afraid all at once, he screamed in Ryder's face and let him go dropping to the ground. ''Don't come near her again.'' 

''Fuck off man!'' Ryder shouted as he tried to take a swing at Austin, but he was quick on his feet and had already knocked Ryder back to the ground with his fist. I let out a small gasp as Ryder fell to the ground with a thump. Ryder somehow scrambled to his feet and ran away into the darkness of the night. Austin turned to me and I stood there not realising I had my hand covering my mouth in complete shock. 

Austin walked over to me and shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. ''I'm real sorry bout that. You alright there?''

''Umm... Yeah, I'm fine, thanks for that.'' I waved my hands around a lot not knowing what to do with them. I felt awkward like a teenage girl who had their first crush. I looked through the car window to check on River who was fast asleep. 

Austin checked on me again before I left to get settled in at the hotel just down the road. 

Sorry, this chapter was so long guy. Hope you are enjoying the new series of Love, Ryder. Also, the photo of the man at the top is the interpretation of Austin. Lots of love Kloie X