Chapter Two

There was a part of my heart that was so desperately trying to get me back onto a horse no matter how much I would fight it. So I pulled Token out of her stall and tacked her up, every movement I made felt so natural and comfortable. It was like I had never even left this barn. 

Once I had Token saddled I walked her out to the arena and swung my leg over her back, landing in the saddle. I held the leather reins in my hands and guided Token around the sand ground. Just over a year ago I had the privilege of buying this beautiful mare, only to have her sit in the paddock for most of that time. We walked around the arena for a while and then I began to do some light work on Token. There was not a single flaw about this horse, not a single thing that I would change. She was simply perfect. Now that I had a taste again for the sport that I missed terribly, I knew that I wanted to get back out there and prove to everyone what I was still capable of. 

After my ride on Token, I hosed her down and turned her out into the sand pen until she was dry. I made my way into the stables again where I checked on River before I tended to the other two horses and took feed out to Apache. 

Ryder's POV

There was no reason for me to want to be with Ail anymore, I had pushed her away and she deserved so much more than me, there was going to be someone out there that will treat her better than I did. But I found myself writing and rewriting messages to her number. I never sent any of them though, she no longer needed me and as much as I wanted to see the new baby that was her's I knew that it was better if I stayed as far away from that kid as possible. Colt sat in the back seat of my truck looking out the window, he would ask where Ail was when we first left, but now it has just become normal that she isn't around. He doesn't ask if she is coming back anymore and, to be honest, it does break my heart. I know that what I did was wrong, there was no need for what I did to Ail. I broke her, I never even said goodbye or sorry. I just left her standing in my dust, while I went and made quite a name for myself on the rodeo circuit, and that's what I wanted. Isn't it?