Chapter Seventeen

My heart was racing as I stepped Bird into the ally way, there was something about her, she just knew what she was doing and I let her take the lead as she exploded into the arena. I pushed my hands forward and squeezed my legs as we went around the first barrel, then taking off to the second barrel. I had never seen her run like this nor had I felt her like this in all the years that I had run on this mare. We ran up to the third barrel and I pushed her all the way home. Bird had made me proud, there was just something in the way she tried so hard today that was different from any other day I had ridden her. It was like I was upon a completely different horse. 

When I pulled Bird up in the ally way and dismounted her I felt a sense of relief wash over me. I needed to make a good run, it made me feel free and like there was not a worry in the world. ''That's a time of 14.3 from Ail Bennett!'' My heart was pounding in my chest, that time meant that I was in the lead, it meant that I had a chance at winning this. ''Good girl, good girl.'' I hugged Bird around the neck and lead her back over to the stalls. 

''Ail!'' Austin called out to me over the grass ground, his smile was so bright and happy. Rive sat up in his arms giggling and hugging Austin's neck. I knew right now at this moment that there was no one else for my little girl. No matter what I knew that it was going to be Austin and that there was no other man who was going to make River happy as he does. Once I had Bird in her stall Austin came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. ''You did great out there.'' I could feel him smiling into my neck and I couldn't help but smile back, I never could I haven't been this happy in a really long time, and I don't want it to go away either. 

Austin helped me take Bird's tack off while River sat in the corner of the stall playing with a little cowgirl toy Austin must have brought her during the rodeo. My heartfelt warm and suddenly it didn't matter if I won today or not.